View unanswered posts | View active topics It is currently 21 Sep 2018 13:14

Reply to topic  [ 5 posts ] 
 Apocryphactor - Writings 
karma portal traveller

I've always wanted to write and have recordings of little things that pop into my head. Tonight while working on a related project I had a small vision pop into my head. In months and years past when I posted cryptic messages as part of ARGs or other forum- or Wiki- related stuff, I usually gravitated toward the format of including ancient numbers and bits of familiar formats, whether that be notes set up between unknown speakers, Submachine-style, or tagging verses as you would find in the Bible. I like dipping into different ways to express my writing, so you can expect to find that here too.

Here's an example of a little scenario I've thought up. Some of what I write may be related to things you know. Others not so much or at all. That's for you to figure out (:

Apocrypha wrote:
I - The Broken City

"...then, like drawing familiar sheets around my body and slipping into dents and creases long formed, I found myself nested in a welcome position. And as I descended, I felt the waves of old electricity wash over me. Deeper down to the familiar destination.

It was only a minute or so before the atrium came into view, opening up around me like someone drawing a curtain around my bed. On monolithic pillars it was supported, as always. This time, there were four. Other times, there would be six, or ten, or twenty, all the way up to 144. The marble floor, with ever-changing intricate geometrical designs that slowly churned like magma, supported six weathered but strong tall arches, ninety feet in height and ten across. All evenly spaced around the center of the structure, around 40 meters out. Each carried a burning orb of turquoise light, three meters across, on its top.

And the dome above arched up and out of sight, ascending into shadows. Long thin cords with small but powerful orange lights swooped down from those shadows. Where they started, no one knew. Like the pillars' number, their configuration was different as well. No light ever hung from the same position or height as its previous below the atrium roof, but one could be sure to always find exactly 300 of them.

The bed touched down on the marble floor with only the slightest bit of a chink that nonetheless was carried across the expansive, pristine floor and then swallowed up by the distant howls of wind and turning gears high up above. Without hesitation I swung my legs out and stood up, breathing in the musty air. Then I raised the brass rod I had brought with me straight up above my head and felt electricity flow through my arm and up the body, refracting out the circular top to shoot six beams toward the orbs of the portals. Their doorways warped and bubbled before flashing bright blue and then revealing the cities behind them.

Stepping slightly away from the bed, which had already begun to surrender its matter to the air around it, I located the small bronze plate with a single hole beneath my feet and slid the rod into place in the ground. Crackles and shudders emitted from the ground as the six portals rose slowly out of their nesting spots and closed in around the center of the structure. I was now surrounded my glimpses into the six cities. I could survey them however I wanted now. All at once, or individually. With this all-encompassing angle I could get a better view of how much work could be done. Some arches and waterways flickered in the distance, and some were solid on all of their feet and foundations. But most of these urban landscapes were only bitter shadows of what they once were, or perhaps aspired to be before time caught up to them and drove them to the ground. Even here, in this place beyond reality, entropy still took hold. Some, like City I and V, had strong pieces intact. Mostly. Others like City VI were an unrecognizable mess, with its structures fading in and out of existence as rapidly as a butterfly flaps its wings, producing aberration and phasing into states I could not see.

City VI would probably never change. Not that it needed to. It stood mostly as a testament to the one who built it for himself after he created all others. One who delivered these lands out of a time of desperation. One who still resided in the floating city, City X, that could be partially viewed through all other six portals. Or at least, people thought he still resided there. No one could tell for sure. But at least we knew the other protectors were still up there somewhere from time to time.

Really, I should rephrase my perspective. None of these cities were broken or falling into disrepair. Time just made their inner workings lost, unrecognizable in a sense. Still there, but not shining in their former glory. But this process could easily be reversed just by having noble explorers venture in and take a few hours, a few days, to find another citizen and rebuild them. All explorers, of course, had the necessary tools to make it happen. Most of the time.

However, I had figured that none of these cities may be able to be restored in their current layouts and plans. So I had decided with members of Council that action was necessary. Transplants, combinations, pushing here and pulling there might restructure the lands in such a way that they could be revitalized. There was no guarantee. It might be the case that the river that ran through all the lands in years past may never be properly replenished. But we thought it was worth it. Or at least, I did.

Using the necessary devices, I surveyed the cities, sending drones out through all six portals to scan them. It struck me that to someone who did not fully know how these cities were built or the realm in which they existed might never fully comprehend them, unless specific instruction. Maybe that's a bit too harsh, though. Humans experience multiple realities, including the cross-section of others that made up this one, almost every day. The trouble is just recognizing it as such.

The drones came back, dissolving and entering the palms of my hand. The data traveled up my arms and into my headspace, and then out into my etherspace. This was going to be some work, that much was clear.

But I figured I could do it. For what end result, I didn't know. But as long as the possibility stood that this reality could be transformed into something it once was, I was willing to see what came of it and work toward that result..."

Last edited by Apocrypha on 31 Aug 2018 00:54, edited 2 times in total.

30 Aug 2018 04:44
subnet technician

Wow, this is pretty really cool! I would be happy to read any further logs in this reality.

Now, if you excuse me, I must point at a similarity. https://fluffrick.files.wordpress.com/2 ... 50s232.png

30 Aug 2018 16:15
Profile WWW
karma portal traveller

...?

I have no idea how that relates at all

30 Aug 2018 17:29
subnet technician

Slartibartfast? Creator of worlds? Sorry, a stretch maybe

30 Aug 2018 20:51
Profile WWW
karma portal traveller

Let's try to keep this tread on topic