gil2455526
subnet notes finder

Re: Languages

Post by gil2455526 »

ENIHCAMBUS wrote:http://www.pastelportal.com/forum/viewt ... p=544#p544
(Posted by Gil)

EDIT: 2400 posts, YEAH!
Good to know I'm relevant :lol:
Just smile and wave boys. Smile and wave...
Sublevel 113
layer restorer

Post by Sublevel 113 »

oh, language differences...

RUS лепесток
Last edited by Sublevel 113 on 25 May 2014 18:53, edited 2 times in total.
zombyrus
lost in subnet

Post by zombyrus »

I've gotta say, I'm not very impressed with those language difference pictures... It's like saying "A bunch of closely related languages have the same word for the same thing, and one language happens to have a different word! Isn't that other language ridiculous for this difference?" They're all European languages that have borrowed a lot from one another. They've all got similarities and differences.
Thus spake Zombyrus
- ak -
wisdom crystal finder

Post by - ak - »

zombyrus wrote:I've gotta say, I'm not very impressed with those language difference pictures... It's like saying "A bunch of closely related languages have the same word for the same thing, and one language happens to have a different word! Isn't that other language ridiculous for this difference?" They're all European languages that have borrowed a lot from one another. They've all got similarities and differences.
But it's funny!

:mrgreen:
ENIHCAMBUS
karma portal traveller

Post by ENIHCAMBUS »

LOL
Germans...
ENIHCAMBUS: State of the Art Scanning!
🧐
WorldisQuiet5256
karma portal traveller

Post by WorldisQuiet5256 »

zombyrus wrote:I've gotta say, I'm not very impressed with those language difference pictures... It's like saying "A bunch of closely related languages have the same word for the same thing, and one language happens to have a different word! Isn't that other language ridiculous for this difference?" They're all European languages that have borrowed a lot from one another. They've all got similarities and differences.
And that is my only problem with writing.
I know the pronunciations of words I wish to Write or Type.
I just simple can't remember every detail of every word.

Like for example being I know the combination to a safe of mine 525600, but I can't remember the order of the numbers.

I can only remember there are two 5s, one 2, one 6, and two 0s.
WHERE DO WE COME FROM
WHAT ARE WE
WHERE ARE WE
GOING
zombyrus
lost in subnet

Post by zombyrus »

ENIHCAMBUS wrote:LOL
Germans...
That's the problem I have with this type of graphic. The German word they use for petals translates directly as "blossom leaves." seeing as (IIRC) they usually say "tree leaves" rather than just "leaves" when referring to tree leaves, this isn't even strange at all. But, since some other languages that are all closely related all took on the word "petal," suddenly German is a ridiculous lanuage, and suddenly because it has a longer word that more people don't know how to pronounce the word has to be screamed in all caps and laughed at.

I've kind of lost my sense of humor about languages because people talk mad shit about languages all the time. People have long tried to tell me that English is a dumb language (and these are other English-speakers). People try to tell me German is an ugly language (I took 2 years in high school) because they don't know shit about it and the words are long. I don't even know, shit bugs me
Thus spake Zombyrus
Anteroinen
subnet traveller

Post by Anteroinen »

I find these funny enough myself, because thinking of how these different form are related is an interesting excercise. Mostly you find compounds and loanwords, but interesting stuff can pop up.
"We didn't leave the Stone Age, because we ran out of stones."
Vurn
subnet traveller

Post by Vurn »

About the petals thing: Polish doesn't really have a distinct word for them, you would rather say "płatki" (+ of flowers, or of a given type of flower) though "płatek" (singular) can mean any object that's small and thin and oblong really, now that I think of it. Like the 'flakes' in corn flakes are płatki. Morphologically, it is a diminutive of płat, which is sort of a rare word for.. well, a big oblong thin object, like a piece of cow's leather or something. It is cognate of the word płacić, to pay, I think.
Zombyrus wrote:I've kind of lost my sense of humor about languages because people talk mad shit about languages all the time.
A pet peeve of mine is when people, like, shoot down AAVE, as apparently, it exists because supposedly, excuse the quote "haha stupid niggers can't speak english lol". I mean, I have heard people say nearly literally that and it is immensely aggravating, obvious racism notwithstanding, AAVE is really interesting from a linguistics perspective, as it makes even more aspectual differences, has interesting sound changes and all that. Another opinion I heard is that Finnish is some fucked up, savage language because eww, not related to the rest of Scandinavia's languages, those being of germanic origin. I mean, come on.
TT: I guess one could use those words to describe it.
TT: If armed with a predilection for the inapt.
ENIHCAMBUS
karma portal traveller

Post by ENIHCAMBUS »

Vurn wrote:Another opinion I heard is that Finnish is some fucked up, savage language because eww, not related to the rest of Scandinavia's languages, those being of germanic origin. I mean, come on.
Same for Estonian and Hungarian.
ENIHCAMBUS: State of the Art Scanning!
🧐