Happy board

Isobel The Sorceress
subnet technician

Re: Happy board

Post by Isobel The Sorceress »

I think every teacher should have at least a master's degree in the thing they're teaching. Their job is to help other people understand a subject so they're kinda obligated to be really knowledgeable about that subject.
I think teaching skills are more important than the knowledge level of the teacher. Just because you know everything there is to know about the subject you're teaching, it doesn't mean you can teach it to others. I have plenty of experience of that in the university. Most of our lecturers are researchers, not teachers, and it shows.
Oleander
subnet technician

Post by Oleander »

You're right in that teaching skills are definitely more important, but I think a good amount of knowledge is pretty vital as well. Both should be requirements.

I don't know anything about how education is in places like Finland, and I'm only in high school right now, but I've believed for quite a while that getting a job in education ought to be a lot more difficult than it is now, because I've seen plenty of teachers who obviously don't even care about educating people, and that kind of behavior shouldn't be something they can get away with at all. Really, the state of education in general around here should be changed a lot.
Your reign is ever growing
Spreading like a moss

across rock, under sky, over roots and the thorns
your reach is ever growing, spreading like a moss
WorldisQuiet5256
karma portal traveller

Post by WorldisQuiet5256 »

What I think is people should teach what they want to teach, their choice. My problem is the system of acquirement that allow that person to teach in a respected area, such as a college. Like a person in School who gets strait A's all through school, by Government System, that report card is officially him/her a "Know it all". Yet a person who gets an average of F's, D's, and C's is by Government statement an "Idiot". Yet the school teaching programs do not applies to every type of knowledge. Just the knowledge some people with power think is needed. So the report card with all A's may state the person who name is one it is a "Know it All" and a person with bad grades is officially an "Idiot", yet they did not check all the Variables.

If the "Know it All" teach they might not get to the Students at all due to their Cocky Behavior.
If a "Idiot" where to teach on a subject not written on the test they might just get better results with the Students.
WHERE DO WE COME FROM
WHAT ARE WE
WHERE ARE WE
GOING
The Kakama
karma portal traveller

Post by The Kakama »

What's happening here is just as bad.They decided to stop teaching maths and science in english and start teaching it in malay,as if that would help the standard of english around here.So some forms/standards would be learning maths and science in english,only to find the final paper in malay.
Is this my final form?
WorldisQuiet5256
karma portal traveller

The standard requirement expected in the U.S. Education System is Math, and English, they keep budget cutting all the other types of classes just so they can improve those two section.

Yet what if I want to learn about say...Greek Mythology, but where is my Class? I can read a few Books, take a Self Study Class. But its more stimulating to take an actual Classroom then be in an online course isn't it? What would you rather put on you job description form "I took an online course. Or "I went to soandso School of Greek Mythology to study on that subject". would you look back on your life 40 year from now and say "I went to High School and had memory making moment". Or "I went to school in a 5 by 10 room and did all my class all by myself with no one around to helpteach me about that said class."

I'm still trying to get that through to my Parents.
WHERE DO WE COME FROM
WHAT ARE WE
WHERE ARE WE
GOING
Oleander
subnet technician

Post by Oleander »

Math and English are much more important than Greek Mythology, though. In a situation where there are budget issues and one subject or the other must have its funding reduced, you have to look at which kind of knowledge would be the most beneficial to the most people.
Your reign is ever growing
Spreading like a moss

across rock, under sky, over roots and the thorns
your reach is ever growing, spreading like a moss
WorldisQuiet5256
karma portal traveller

But at what cost. I actually tried to take a Business Math class but they decided to throw me in an Adult Education class where I literally after all is said and done is being lock in a small room for two class times. Meaning while everyone moves from 1st hour to the 2nd hour I spent those two being lock in an isolated room with nothing to do.

I might as well turn in my Human Being and swap it for an AI Computer with no Human capability.

The Mean's do not justified the Ends. A lot of huge mistakes were committed by that assumption.
WHERE DO WE COME FROM
WHAT ARE WE
WHERE ARE WE
GOING
Anteroinen
subnet traveller

Post by Anteroinen »

WorldisQuiet5256 wrote:What I think is people should teach what they want to teach, their choice.
That wouldn't work, ultimately. There are too many people who want to teach utter excrement - e.g. creationism and climate change denial. And then there are these nincompoops: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oJfBSc6e7QQ
"We didn't leave the Stone Age, because we ran out of stones."
The Kakama
karma portal traveller

Post by The Kakama »

So stupid it should be posted under funny stuff,and look at the borders of china,why isn't manchuria part of china?
Is this my final form?
WorldisQuiet5256
karma portal traveller

Because China as well as the rest of the World are inhabited by Humans. I thought everyone would learn that by now.
What I think is people should teach what they want to teach, their choice.

That wouldn't work, ultimately. There are too many people who want to teach utter excrement - e.g. creationism and climate change denial. And then there are these nincompoops:
Then let them, let them learn from their mistakes, that how we got where we are as Human Being on this Earth
WHERE DO WE COME FROM
WHAT ARE WE
WHERE ARE WE
GOING