Good usb drawing pad?

Redafro
subnet technician

Good usb drawing pad?

Post by Redafro »

As much digital drawing as I've been doing lately, I decided it was time to ask for a pen tablet for my laptop. Any suggestions? I can't afford a top of the line, but I don't want a "for beginners" one either. Wacom Bamboo seems to be the standard, but does anyone know if there are better ones for a similar price? Won't be paying much more than $50 I think. Thanks guys.
Anteroinen
subnet traveller

Re: Good usb drawing pad?

Post by Anteroinen »

I remember hearing good words about Bamboo, but otherwise I'm quite in the dark with regards to tablets, sorry.
"We didn't leave the Stone Age, because we ran out of stones."
Sublevel 113
layer restorer

Post by Sublevel 113 »

I asked this questrion recently, but noone answered...
I'm waiting for your responds too! :)
Wacom Bamboo
I read Mateusz uses the same pad.
MateuszSkutnik
The Architect

Post by MateuszSkutnik »

actually I've got two.
both are wacom.

intuos3, A4 size - for normal work.

bamboo (A5 size) for work I do on location (small size lets you take it on a trip along your laptop).
Redafro
subnet technician

Post by Redafro »

Hmmm... then it sounds like I'm leaning towards that then. I ask on another, very very slow forum I participate in but no one has answered there yet. I miss having an easy way to paint... meaning I don't have a studio and it is too much work to clean up all the time. I'm hoping this gives something of the same feel back to me and without the mess and dry time of the oils I was trained in. Anyhow, thanks guys.
Redafro
subnet technician

Post by Redafro »

So a buddy of mine is the computer labs administrator of one of the local colleges and one of his employees recommended a pad by Monoprice that is much much cheaper than the high end bamboos but are just as sensitive. It is extremely natural feeling and I've gotten use to it very quick, though I've never used one before. My only complaint is that some of the buttons on the pad don't work with my graphic editor (gimp 2) and there is no way to customize them. Also, sometimes my computer (or the pad) gets a little slow and sticky when I use key board hot keys with the pad, but it doesn't effect much. It is soo dang cool to be using a pad instead of a mouse to draw!

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B004C4 ... UTF8&psc=1