submachine 5 HD dilemma

Vortex
Murtaugh's hunter

Re: submachine 5 HD dilemma

Post by Vortex »

oThe whole business model we were operating on until recently was created in around 2004 - 2005.

in internet years - that's like centuries ago.

That was not only entirely different world concerning the web, that was even before mobile market. before iphones, itunes, touch screens, android etc.

Everything is changed now. Everything. those old ways are gone.
Yeah, a few years ago the micropayment system wasn't so popular, but the rise of smartphones is helping people lose the fear.

Speaking of which, what are your thoughts on the possibility of porting Submachine to the smartphone market? I know your experience with the iPhone didn't go to well, but that was years ago and times have changed. Also, the size of the gmae is now an advantage for phones's screens, and about popularity, games like 100 doors are pretty popular here :)

EDIT: Simple games like Sub1 have the possibility of going viral quickly, and then more people will discover the Submachine series and grow interest in it. You can put Sub1 for free, and when you end it add a Sub2 ad ("~90 more rooms, more detailed graphics, outstanding ambients, great gameplay, mysterious story, very good critics, only for $2!"). At the least, you'd make Submachine much more popular.
oh - btw - what would you suggest as extra content in dmt that I could offer for paying customers?
Hmm... you could add the soundtrack, just as in Submachine, and... a gallery of art or something like that, which includes some of the things you have shown in FB/Youtube and some more. I think I would like that.

EDIT:
MateuszSkutnik wrote:
ENIHCAMBUS wrote:I already lost 4 basements rooms for Sub1 and I didn't seen that unfair. Those rooms are stored now in the wiki or Youtube
what do you mean you lost rooms in sub1?
From the iPhone extended version, maybe. I think there were 4 new rooms. Though you can't lose what you didn't buy XD

EDIT2:
So - in this situation - when the entire game is available for free on the internet - how can I sell the HD version? How can I bump those sales a bit?
Any ideas? Ideas that would not hurt the free-players? Anyone? I'm listening.
The only idea I have is to say something like,
"if you buy Sub9 HD, that money will be spent in making Sub10 twice as big, and if I get enough, a spin-off like Sub32".
That is, making users feel that they are contributing with their money. There's already the phrase in the buying website, but saying it explicitly will make more people want it. You know, kinda like the Kickstarter "achievements" :)
Last edited by Vortex on 20 Jun 2013 10:19, edited 2 times in total.
ENIHCAMBUS
karma portal traveller

Post by ENIHCAMBUS »

I really like the art/sketches idea for DMT4 HD. :)
Mateusz Skutnik wrote:subamchine
That again! ¬¬
ENIHCAMBUS: State of the Art Scanning!
🧐
MateuszSkutnik
The Architect

Post by MateuszSkutnik »

ENIHCAMBUS wrote:I really like the art/sketches idea for DMT4 HD. :)
Mateusz Skutnik wrote:subamchine
That again! ¬¬
answer my question..
MateuszSkutnik
The Architect

Post by MateuszSkutnik »

OnyxIonVortex wrote: Simple games like Sub1 have the possibility of going viral quickly, and then more people will discover the Submachine series and grow interest in it. You can put Sub1 for free, and when you end it add a Sub2 ad ("~90 more rooms, more detailed graphics, outstanding ambients, great gameplay, mysterious story, very good critics, only for $2!"). At the least, you'd make Submachine much more popular.
Yes, but that requires hiring a programmer and devoting a great chunk of time to do that. Time that I don't have right now.
OnyxIonVortex wrote:
Hmm... you could add the soundtrack, just as in Submachine, and... a gallery of art or something like that, which includes some of the things you have shown in FB/Youtube and some more. I think I would like that.
soundtrack is a given and no one cares about the sketches, especially if they're already on the web.
OnyxIonVortex wrote:
"if you buy Sub9 HD, that money will be spent in making Sub10 twice as big, and if I get enough, a spin-off like Sub32".
That is, making users feel that they are contributing with their money. There's already the phrase in the buying website, but saying it explicitly will make more people want it. You know, kinda like the Kickstarter "achievements" :)
I'm talking about extra added value to the package, not an information on the website that probably no one even reads.
Vortex
Murtaugh's hunter

Post by Vortex »

MateuszSkutnik wrote:Yes, but that requires hiring a programmer and devoting a great chunk of time to do that. Time that I don't have right now.
Okay, it was just a thought :)
MateuszSkutnik wrote:
OnyxIonVortex wrote:
soundtrack is a given and no one cares about the sketches, especially if they're already on the web.
Well, I do care :/
anyways, I was gonna say extended in-game content, but I took that as a given.
MateuszSkutnik wrote:I'm talking about extra added value to the package, not an information on the website that probably no one even reads.
I don't have any more ideas.
MateuszSkutnik
The Architect

Post by MateuszSkutnik »

OnyxIonVortex wrote:Well, I do care :/
you've got them all on my website.
OnyxIonVortex wrote:anyways, I was gonna say extended in-game content, but I took that as a given.
extended ingame coontent is the exact thing that free-players are whining about.
OnyxIonVortex wrote:I don't have any more ideas.
that's my point.
SoLost
lost in subnet

Post by SoLost »

MateuszSkutnik wrote:
SoLost wrote:Therefore, there is a group of loyal fans that are either too young to have a paypal account or don't have the money to pay for extras. Hopefully the exclusive content will generate enough revenue to drown out the cries of these alienated fans.
You know you are talking about kids who STILL GET A WHOLE FREE GAME, right?
you know that basically this is the worst possible business decision that I could come up with - and I STILL do it? (meaning: releasing for free the game I'm trying to sell).
I still do that out of respect for players.
Because I know it would be unfair to just hide behind the paywall now, when almost whole series is out there for free.

So - in this situation - when the entire game is available for free on the internet - how can I sell the HD version? How can I bump those sales a bit?
Any ideas? Ideas that would not hurt the free-players? Anyone? I'm listening.
I knew "drown out the cries of these alienated fans" was going a bit too far. I was just trying to explain why there was any resistance at all. I didn't mean to upset you. I'm on your side. I understand the need to charge for some things to keep other things free. And I appreciate that you're slogging through fan input and taking everyone into consideration.

My only suggestion would be to add the "Play in HD" link into every game when it's available. Right now it seems like it's only in Sub 8. I don't know how easy that would be to do, but I think it would help. Expanded gameplay is the only way to get non-hardcore fans to pay money. That would almost turn the free versions into demos for the pimped out HD versions.
MateuszSkutnik wrote:
SoLost wrote: This discussion did bring up a (slightly off-topic) question in my mind: If SNEE includes every game location in addition to unique content, will there come a day where the Submachine Network Exploration Experience grows so large it will either have to be abandoned or turned into a registration required pay site?
there are too few users of that site to make it a pay site.
I want to go up to 100 locations, then stop making new ones for a bit and maybe finally add puzzles and quests in the existing material.

but that's a FREE CONTENT. that, 10 gnomes and where is 2014 (and upcoming daymare cat) - these are all games that I create and dont get even a penny and release for free. All income from those games comes from adsense on my website. which is not that much.
So if you're running adblock - thanks for nothing...
Thank you for answering my question and sharing that information. That sounds fantastic and I'm sure I'm not the only one excited about it. By the way, ouch, I don't use adblock and I'm one of the few people that actually clicks ads.

Do what you need to do to feed your family and keep your motivation to create games for us. There's no way to make everyone happy, but we appreciate you trying.
Sublevel 113
layer restorer

Post by Sublevel 113 »

I don't have any more ideas.
Me too.
It seems that it is Dead end...
MateuszSkutnik
The Architect

Post by MateuszSkutnik »

I was just trying to explain why there was any resistance at all. I didn't mean to upset you.
I'm not upset, don't worry.
MateuszSkutnik
The Architect

Post by MateuszSkutnik »

Sublevel 102 wrote:It seems that it is Dead end...
No, it's not a dead end. It's just a clear justification of putting extra in-game stuff inside HD games.
I'm pretty sure people will be whining about the dmt4 extras, but a quick reminder:

samorost 2, one of the best games ever was CUT IN HALF. you only got first half for free, then you had to buy entire thing to finish the game.

Just imagine if I did that with dmt4 or sub9.......