Books!

Rooster5man
subnet traveller

Re: Books!

Post by Rooster5man »

I really enjoyed reading it. I doubt you'll be disappointed when you read it.
Good to hear.
1st book of the Dark Tower series, the Gun Slinger, is the darkest because the Gun Slinger himself is such a dark character in that book. The rest of the series is him gaining his humanity back as he recruits others to his work. It is still dark, but there is much more light after the first book. It is definitely long, but oh my dear lord it is good.
Yeah, he seemed like a sort of anti-hero, but, I don't know, maybe I'll read more of it one day :P

By King, I want to read 11/22/63, it sounds really interesting.
Redafro
subnet technician

Post by Redafro »

That is a good story. Very good take on the time travel paradox. I was just thinking of it today as I was rereading some of The Universe in a Nutshell. I keep meaning to recommend Lisey's Story. Really interesting parallel world style story. So is From a Buick 8.
Rooster5man
subnet traveller

Post by Rooster5man »

I was going to say "From a Buick 8" sounds like "Christine," but different plots, of course. I don't think I'll ever catch up on King's works, but I can try XD
Redafro
subnet technician

Post by Redafro »

Audiobooks are amazing, if you have any repetitive tasks like driving or dish washing that you can listen to them in. From a Buick 8, Lisey's Story, The Dark Tower series, The Talisman, and Black House are the main cross dimensional tales, if that is what would interest you. The last two are a part of the Dark Tower universe. It relates to it in a distant, mythological development way.
borys610

Post by borys610 »

I like audiobooks... but there is very little amount of them, possible to buy, at least in Poland.
Rooster5man
subnet traveller

Post by Rooster5man »

I could try audiobooks, I'm not very good at listening and doing at the same time though :P

I actually saw the movie "Atlantis Hearts," I think that's part of the Dark Tower universe too, that's really what got me to read The Gunslinger in the first place.

Edit: So I went to my Library's website - Apparently they have 3 copies of 11/22/63, all checked out, yet the Large Print copy is there. Interesting, lol.
Redafro
subnet technician

Post by Redafro »

yeah, Hearts in Atlantis the movie is a not very good movie interpretation of 1 of the 4 or 5 stories in the book Hearts in Atlantis. Yet another great book... I actually really need/want to reread it. XD

Borys, is it that you can't buy them, or can't buy them in Polish? Audible.com is a fairly affordable way to do audiobooks, and there is always librivox.org for free. Check your library too.
- ak -
wisdom crystal finder

Post by - ak - »

You guys should read some Dresden Files books.

Sort of like Harry Potter for adults :D

Oh and Bone the fantasy graphic novel epic as well.
Redafro
subnet technician

Post by Redafro »

Bone is the little white guy, right? I remember that came out the same time as the Maxx by Sam Kieth came out.

Me love the Maxx. XXD

I think my library has a Dresden or two online. I'll have to check.

Anybody try any of Lois McMaster Bujold's Vor series? Not the best sci fi in space series, but it has really good upbeat characters who are always outsmarting the crap out of everyone in ways you don't see coming. Or at least I don't, but I'm thick. XD They raise interesting ethical questions often as well.
borys610

Post by borys610 »

You know, in Poland only two (or three) kinds of books are published as audiobooks
-criminal/detectivistic stories (like Agatha Christe's or Arthur Conan Doyle's books)
-classical books (that I mostly either already know, don't want to know, want to read in paper version)
-sometimes well know books (like Harry Potter)

Only serious book that I audio-read was "Narrenturm" another book of "The Witcher's" author - Sapkowski

Also I'm not good enough in spoken english to audio-read in that language (trust me I tried on Youtube). It is hard enough to read normal books in English.