Books!

Babylon
subnet notes finder

Re: Books!

Post by Babylon »

So...anyone read oblivion by Anthony Horowitz?
it's freaking epic with a side of epic and epic sauce on top.
I read it a few weeks back, and although it's like 600 pages, I read it
in a few days it's that epic.
I'm not a latin popstar.
Redafro
subnet technician

Post by Redafro »

Ah! I was going to start a thread like this, but my last two threads were still born. Love reading. A bit of advice: unless you know you can make big bucks at a desk, find a job/career that lets you use an mp3 player while you work. I listen to books ALL DAY LONG! XD XD XD

One of my favorite books of all time is Anathem by Neal Stephenson. The Dune series by Frank Herbert (NOT THE BOOKS BY HIS SON BRIAN WHICH SUCK!) where very influential on my religious thinking, especially God Emperor of Dune. I recently discovered Charles De Lint, and he is quickly become one of my favorite writers. I'm reading The Onion Girl by him right now. I've read Daemon by Daniel Suarez, and am dying to read the sequel but I'm too cheep to buy the audiobook, and my library doesn't have it. I was surprised to like the Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins, and I recently discovered a very similar series called Divergent by Veronica Roth which I've only read the first one of, but have the second on hold at the library. And of course, I re-read some Lovecraft every now and then (not a Poe fan... not crazy about the poetry, and its not other worldly enough) and I think The Dark Tower series has to be one of the most epic and amazing series ever. Though I do like my Tolkien a bit better, but for very different reasons.

As for non-fiction, I'm currently reading The Universe In A Nutshell by Steven Hawkins (taking me some time... I'm thick), and a lot of things by G. K. Chesterton. I'm also reading Principles of Metaphysics, Critique of Practical Reason, and Perpetual Peace by Immanuel Kant. (I jump around a lot.) And I'm always reading the Bible.
The Abacus
wisdom crystal finder

Post by The Abacus »

I just finished reading The Book Thief a few days ago. I think I'll be reading some books by Yann Martel (author of Life of Pi) sometime soon. I often prefer reading one book at a time.
Balance is imperative; without it, total collapse and destruction is imminent.
Vurn
subnet traveller

Post by Vurn »

Redafro wrote: The Universe In A Nutshell by Steven Hawkins
Lol, you mean Stephen Hawking :P

I'd like to read some Lovercraft eventually. It seems really interesting and I know quit a bit what's it about, but I have never laid my hands on any of his works other than a single story. X_x
TT: I guess one could use those words to describe it.
TT: If armed with a predilection for the inapt.
Redafro
subnet technician

Post by Redafro »

*slaps forehead* I've said it before, I'll say it again, spelling is not my strong point. It's very hard for me to memorize isolated facts, and it's hard to make associations with every odd spelled word in the dictionary. X/

Take a look at this:
http://librivox.org/collected-public-do ... lovecraft/
They have other works by Lovecraft in their collection, but this is a great starting place. Some are actually quite beautiful in a shocking otherworldly way. The Music of Erich Zann is one, though still freaky. But there are two that are down right gorgeous, but I can't remember which ones they are. There is both audio and text links there.
Rooster5man
subnet traveller

Post by Rooster5man »

azareus wrote:
Rooster5man wrote: No, but speaking of video game-based books
The video game was actually based on the book(s) :P Also I think somebody bought the film rights some time ago. I am already looking forward to that :D
Meh :P Well, I might see it when it comes out on DVD or something XD
I was surprised to like the Hunger Games trilogy by Suzanne Collins, and I recently discovered a very similar series called Divergent by Veronica Roth which I've only read the first one of, but have the second on hold at the library...and I think The Dark Tower series has to be one of the most epic and amazing series ever.
According to Wiki, it's been compared to Hunger Games, sounds like it a little too. Really, Battle Royale is where it all comes from :P Though Divergent sounds a little more like The Giver.

And I read maybe 30 pages into the first book of the Dark Tower series before I gave up (no time), but it was interesting.
I just finished reading The Book Thief a few days ago.
I wanted to read it, is it good?
The Abacus
wisdom crystal finder

Post by The Abacus »

I wanted to read it, is it good?
I really enjoyed reading it. I doubt you'll be disappointed when you read it.
Redafro
subnet technician

Post by Redafro »

1st book of the Dark Tower series, the Gun Slinger, is the darkest because the Gun Slinger himself is such a dark character in that book. The rest of the series is him gaining his humanity back as he recruits others to his work. It is still dark, but there is much more light after the first book. It is definitely long, but oh my dear lord it is good.

Took my own recommendation and started listening to H. P. Lovecraft from librivox again. The Crawling Chaos is actually a very beautiful short story.
The Abacus
wisdom crystal finder

Post by The Abacus »

Redafro wrote:1st book of the Dark Tower series, the Gun Slinger, is the darkest because the Gun Slinger himself is such a dark character in that book. The rest of the series is him gaining his humanity back as he recruits others to his work. It is still dark, but there is much more light after the first book. It is definitely long, but oh my dear lord it is good.

Took my own recommendation and started listening to H. P. Lovecraft from librivox again. The Crawling Chaos is actually a very beautiful short story.
Have you read The Outsider (a short story by Lovecraft)?
Redafro
subnet technician

Post by Redafro »

It sounds familiar, but it's not on librivox. Though my library has vol. 1 and 3 of the lovecraft complete collection. (why only 1 and 3? Go figure right?) So, might have read it, but I'm not sure.