M-A-T v2.0: General Mat Activity Thread

Anteroinen
subnet traveller

Re: M-A-T v2.0: General Mat Activity Thread

Post by Anteroinen »

Okay, I'll put these here, since people clearly do not know about this and at this point this is causing misconceptions. Submachine: The Explorers is not in development, in fact it has not ever been in development, as far as we can tell. This was already known in 2018, but let's make the current situation known. A very dubious maybe, which is better than 2018.

From #chatter
24Aug2018.png
24Aug2018.png (356.4 KiB) Viewed 2376 times
Also from #chatter, "Today" is 27.9.2019.
27Sep2019.png
27Sep2019.png (277.09 KiB) Viewed 2376 times
"We didn't leave the Stone Age, because we ran out of stones."
Jatsko
karma portal traveller

Post by Jatsko »

Original source on Mat approving SubEx as an official side game: https://youtu.be/-whg969Xwqg?t=8030

[removed semi-rant about Mat not acknowledging the forum in anything anymore]
Last edited by Jatsko on 28 Sep 2019 14:26, edited 2 times in total.
Anteroinen
subnet traveller

Post by Anteroinen »

If we start a bit earlier On the video. (Called "Live Stream 44 • playing subnet hd part 2", timestamps: 2:10:45-2:11:51.
If we are talking, for example, about Submachine: The Engine, I have no, no idea, no clue, about what's going to be in this game.

And we also, let's remember, last time we also, erm [clears throat] thought about creating [a] game called Submachine:... The Explorers, was it Jatsko? The, the Explorers, or...? Which, erm, which will be about the, the explorer teams that roam-roamed [the] submachine long time ago.

So you see, those, those ideas come and go and... but I have nothing else than the name for it right now. On both of those games. [Clears throat] Neither, erm [corrects pronunciation] neither the Engine or the Explorers are set... don't have any ideas for it, how it should look like.

So this cannot be the original source for these discussions, it must be live stream 43. Mateusz then talks about his live stream experiments.

To transcribe Mateusz's speech around Jatsko's link for searchability. Timestamp: 2:13:51-2:14:15:

[User Jatsko in the livestream chat: So is that actually a thing? Like i can make a serious Wiki page about it?]

You want to do a serious Wiki page about what? About Explorers? [Pauses] Yeah. [Pauses] Yeah. If I'm, If I'm to make more games, then Submachine: The Engine is the first one and Submachine: [The] Explorers is the, erm, the next one.

EDIT: I'll also transcribe 2:16:08-2:17:54, even though it is obvious stuff. At least we'll have a source to cite for this now. Also, the stuff about the sewers might be interpreted as a Sub Legacy detail - sure, the game was not named at all, but the concept is vaguely floated around.

Submachine: The Farm was... I think that was a... a joke. [Pause] Because I remember it stemmed out of a... discussion about the... erm, food that is presented at the beginning of Sub- of, of Subnet, right?

[Mateusz navigates into 000 on screen]

It all was because of this sandwich. Right? [Shows sandwich.] That was the salt of Submachine: The Farm. If I remember correctly.

Submachine: The Sewers? I don't think so. I've been going through sewers in, in the Subnet and that's... that's one of the most tiring locations, actually. Those sewers from Submachine 2. I don't think I'm revisiting it any- anytime soon. [Stretches and chair creaks] And also, if I'm re-creating Submachines for... for Steam, they will be different. These will not be the same games that you have in Flash. So... I think that, that sewer section in Submachine 2 would have to be changed someh- somehow, because i- it is... tiring. It's, it's not fun going there. It's- It never was. Even before I, er... added some length to it, because a-at, at the beginning it was all very dark and it was even more... tiresome.
Jatsko
karma portal traveller

Post by Jatsko »

Original discussion on SubEx, 29 Jan 2017, from Live Stream #43 (0:58:51-1:00:30)
(yes I cut out some stutters and stuff)
[User Mazen Hamdi in live chat: @Mateusz Skutnik will we see comics about lost explorers in the Subnet?]

No...no, never, never, I'm not making comic books about the Submachine...um, maybe no, no no no there's nothing to say about this. If I'm going to tell the story, it will be in a game form. It will be, I don't know, Submachine, let's say, "Submachine: The Explorers". But don't hold me to it please, guys, don't hold me to my every little word I say. But you know, that will be a fun idea to create a Submachine filled with field notes from different,um....that's a good idea.

[User towerofnix in live chat: Shortly later, Submachine: The Farm.]

"Submachine: The Farm", yeah, about how to create the sandwiches...

[User AndroidScript in live chat: Submachine The Explorers confirmed]

Yeah, yeah towerofnix, yep that's confirmed. I think we need a new entry in the SubWiki, with the upcoming "Submachine: The Explorers" [chuckles]

But actually I like this idea, I like this much better than creating a comic book about the Submachine, which will never happen...he says. Well we never know what's going to happen in the next years, years to come.
Follow-up (1:02:10-1:02:27)
[User Jatsko in live chat: @Mateusz Skutnik wiki page done]

Yeah, thank you, Jatsko, for making the new page in...did you quote me there? Like, um, saying "I like this idea"? [laughs] Because I do?
It should be pointed out that it's entirely possible that Mat was suggesting the creation of the page ironically at this point. It should also be pointed out that the current SubEx page was created on February 5th, after Part 2, not Part 1. So I think I must have created the page during Part 1, then later deleted it due to being unsure about its legitimacy, and then re-created it during or after Part 2.
Anteroinen
subnet traveller

Post by Anteroinen »

I have been digging in Vortex's old forum archive. These are all posts from before 2012, some going as far back as 2008 in all likelihood. Not all of this is relevant but I want these noted down.

About possibilities of the design of Submachine 6. He's speaking of a "DVD edition" of all the games. This might be considered a sort of proto-Legacy, if I am honest. Or a pre-HD idea, more likely, since this was before the release of those. Here as well, Mateusz complains about the sewers, so that goes way back.

(Source: Submachine 6: Theories & Suggestions, Page 1, ca. 2008)
adjustable brightness - not gonna happen.
But I agree - sewers in sub2 were too dark. It will be corrected for the dvd edition. In fact - all the games will be tweaked for that occasion.

The ship? Naah. Defense systems are a solid structure not infested by Murtaugh or any other human presence.
-----------------------------------

An interesting development note for Subnet:

(Source: Submachine Network Exploration Experience, page 172, ca. 2010)
hey guys I want to run one idea by you.

I'm tired of people blind jumping and want to take measures to prevent that.

the only reasonable solution that can be applied is to actually step back a little bit and make the protal work like it did in submachine4 or 5. After an unsuccessful jump attempt (bad coordinates) the portal resets itself to 0,0,0. that's how it was in the games. I want to go back to that in subnet. first of all - that would be more canonical and second of all would make blind jumps 100 times harder to perform.

so what do you think?

I don't need opinion from blind jumpers, I already know what you're going to tell.
---------------------------------------

Also, just because I want it sourced somehow, these are the toilet room debacle posts. Basically people started calling Murtaugh's room "Toilet Room" and Mateusz was not a happy bean. For reference, there were fourteen posts mentioning the "Toilet Room" between the posts 2849-3003, where 3003 is Mateusz's first post about it.

(Source: Submachine Network Exploration Experience, page 201, ca. 2010)
if I ever hear anyone refer to murtaugh's room as

TOILET

room

I will kill without warning. Swear to Liz.
(Source: Submachine Network Exploration Experience, page 202, ca. 2010)
Heh, I'm at 6/10 and have no clue where the "Toilet/Murtaugh" room is.
I'm not joking. I will start killing any moment now. :[
(Source: Submachine Network Exploration Experience, page 206, ca. 2010)
of all your stupid off-topic random bullshit - calling MURTAUGH'S communicationr room

a TOILET

is just over the top. whoever came up with this - congrats. You made me borderly mad.
----------------------------------

More Sub6 development details, teasers:

(Source: Submachine 6: Theories & Suggestions, page 233, ca. 2009)
#2. This submachine is "submachine-generated" instead of "man-made".
yup, but that assumption raises problems. since its not for humans, it doesnt have to be designed to be accesible by humans. how in the world are we going to explore this??

are we just standing outside banging our head on the doorless wall?
Mateusz's response to AK's review of his game:

(Source: Submachine 6: the edge, page 41, ca. 2009)
I can't agree with you AK.

the soundtrack fits perfectly - it's a giant machine designed not for humans. We're the intruders there. Not welcome.

second thing - this was very difficult to develop, exactly because of the type of that machine, that defense system. Its not for humans - therefore there is almost nothing to collect. Its clean, clear and spotless. And - not accesible by humans. Well, most of it. hence - the hacking. the conection pod with which we're exploring the structure.

just keep in mind that the theme of this game was very hadr to approach. Once we get to the core, I'd suspect we can go back to collecting stuff. But not here.

hope I made this clear.
I think I did, however, hit the jackpot. The first mention of Submachine: The Engine and definitely of Submachine: The Sewer(s).

(Source: Submachine 8: Theories and Suggestions, page 212, ca. October 2012)
rulo you get +100 health and +50 for including prince symbol.

to clarify:
sub 10: the eit will be the last in the main story line. it will also be last numbered subamchine.

after that we'll switch to standalone submachine games, which will be titled like:

submachine: the engine.
submachine: the sewer.

etc etc.
Anteroinen
subnet traveller

Post by Anteroinen »

So from the stream "Inktober 2019 • 01" on Twitch on the 1st of October 2019, we have:
a110.png
a110.png (21.71 KiB) Viewed 2377 times
and a real picture of an uncoloured card!
a110.png
a110.png (21.71 KiB) Viewed 2377 times
Attachments
acard110.png
acard110.png (642.98 KiB) Viewed 2377 times
Sublevel 113
layer restorer

Post by Sublevel 113 »

The very first submachine screen room ever (not including legendary menu) from the Basement got doors??? :O
The world won't be the same again...
Anteroinen
subnet traveller

Post by Anteroinen »

This is a rare one: DMT news. Well. More like a Daymare fact. These things are called Daymare folk. Source is today's Twitch stream, "Inktober 2019 • 02" on the 2nd of October 2019, 6:00 pm GMT.
DaymareFolk.png
DaymareFolk.png (655.66 KiB) Viewed 2378 times
Not sure if clips are permanent but: Link.
Anteroinen
subnet traveller

Post by Anteroinen »

This conversation is from the October 4 livestream on Twitch, or rather after the fact. Mostly it is about Mateusz considering getting a foreign publisher for the card game. It is overly long, but I ended up saving it anyway.
04Oct2019poststreamquestions.png
04Oct2019poststreamquestions.png (214.43 KiB) Viewed 2379 times
And these are from tonight's lovely Inktober stream. That's Mateusz's eldest daughter drawing, by the way. Positively adorable. (Link.)

For more of the daughter showing of her drawings, see here.
Sublevel 113
layer restorer

Post by Sublevel 113 »

wow, never have seen Subgod's daughter introduction. :D