Video Games

Jatsko
karma portal traveller

Re: Video Games

Post by Jatsko »

Yeah, I remember seeing that trailer during the game awards. Looks great.

Also, I can't believe I'm saying this but I have another game to recommend everyone in the community. It's rare that I come across a game that I want to recommend to everyone. Antichamber was one. INSIDE might be a second.

But Doki Doki Literature Club is DEFINITELY my next forum-wide recommendation.

I'm not kidding.

It's not because of the anime girls with the big tiddies, either. Just trust me.

Though some content may not be suitable for all audiences, so be careful.

I'm not saying anything else.
Prupp
subnet technician

Post by Prupp »

@WiQ aw yiss that sounds awesome, have not read M35 yet tho so..; it's ya boy, no spoilers. ;D

@Apo yeah just finished it myself today. It's as immersive as Night in the Woods (my fave 2017 game), and it's got REALLY good advice on writing. And it inspired me. very good. (ALSO FREE)
Sublevel 113
layer restorer

Post by Sublevel 113 »

Hey guys, anybody played Arrival in Hell and Arrival in hell 2 games?

I was too scared and afraid o violence to play them, but it's time to fix this.
RoentgenDevice
subnet notes finder

Post by RoentgenDevice »

Random vidya meditations I felt like sharing here.
Throughout the last years, I noticed two things:

1. First Person Perspective is super important to me. When I first played non-FP games, I had a constant feeling of them being not "real" enough. I eventually learned that the english language got a kind of overused term for that (immersion).

2. My favorite genre so far turned out to be the "Immersive sim(ulation)", a line of games that basically support the core idea of the player inhabiting the game world.

I think Submachine was basically my entryway to all this. You never break out of FPP because there's the meta-narrative about the player actually being "the player". Just like in immersive sims, the game world is pretty reactive to your actions, even though the naturally limiting point'n'click format often caused irritations for me ("Why can I do this but not that?").
The series led me to Portal because I basically wanted "more story-bound Puzzles in First Person" back then, which later led to the Immersive Sims. I didn't really play games before Submachine.
The net is vast and infinite
Jatsko
karma portal traveller

Post by Jatsko »

Thanks for sharing, Roentgen; I agree that first person perspective really is important. Besides taking space on screen, it's just no the same when you have visual proof that you're not really inside such a character's head.

The "immersion" term can be defined as "the state of being mentally engaged, in this case with a game" which is super broad because you can be 'immersed' in a bunch of different ways. Of course, there's a big difference between being immersed in the lore and trying to fill plot holes and questions and such and being immersed in a pure sense-related way. A first person perspective for Portal, Mirror's Edge, etc. gives you the eyes and ears of the player, and I think this is what a lot of people use for the immersion term.

Which makes Submachine sort of interesting in that it's...not(?) a FP perspective. It's sorta weird in that you are stated to be the player, yes*, but you don't act like a human would in the environment because we're given more of a god's view perspective instead. We don't see a player in the rooms (hence the connection to 1st person) but we also see pretty much the whole room (excl. the physical fourth wall**). Yet somehow it's still an 'immersive' experience for a lot of people.

--

Also, I figured for you guys who like the Playdead games Inside and Limbo, if you haven't been made aware, Playdead has released two teaser images for their third game (or at the very least possible concept art for it, depending on which source you're looking at) which are worth taking a look at - they're visually stunning, of course:

*but not the Player as defined as "the actual player of the submachine games", to be clear, just the person inside the environment; there should really be separate standard terms for these if there aren't already

**as opposed to a narrative fourth wall. This also raises the question of whether there are objects in the game environments on the fourth physical wall as well, which I don't think there are; the rooms are just represented as 3-wall versions of rooms that are understood to be regular 4-wall rooms.
Prupp
subnet technician

Post by Prupp »

!!!!!!

gorgeous
Jatsko
karma portal traveller

Post by Jatsko »

Starting 21 Sep 2018 at 10AM PST, NaissanceE will be free on Steam.

https://steamcommunity.com/games/265690 ... 1063697503
Sublevel 113
layer restorer

Post by Sublevel 113 »

So, did you solve the mystery of NaissanceE, Apo?

-----

meanwhile, I have finished Fran Bow, and I want to kill developers!
Prupp
subnet technician

Post by Prupp »

why they do that
Sublevel 113
layer restorer

Post by Sublevel 113 »

Prupp wrote:why they do that
are you asking me?
if yes - I can't uderstand a question. :mrgreen: