Pastel Community Game project and discussion

Ancient Crystal
subnet notes finder

Re: Pastel Community Game project and discussion

Post by Ancient Crystal »

Alright, basically, the PCG is/might be/was a completely independent game. You wake up in a stasis pod in an underground facility, explore, meet an android, learn to upload your mind to other parts of the facility, eventually learn you're the facility's semi-sapient security system that only had room to back up it's operational structure, and not any memory, in a test subject when an experiment with space-bending technology went awry.

What you're doing here seems more like my subcraft project (I'd link it, but it was ages ago. I can find it, but the grammar alone... no thanks.), only not based of any sole game. Which, while certainly interesting, is quite entirely unrelated.
Meet the new boss, same as the old boss, if the old boss had been an octahedron, which they weren't.
IceGear55
lost in subnet

Post by IceGear55 »

Should I make my own thread for this?
ENIHCAMBUS
karma portal traveller

Post by ENIHCAMBUS »

Yeah!
ENIHCAMBUS: State of the Art Scanning!
🧐
Vortex
Murtaugh's hunter

Post by Vortex »

I don't think there's any problem if you post here, but if you want more visibility it's convenient to make a thread, yeah.
Vortex
Murtaugh's hunter

Post by Vortex »

Question: who would be interested in reviving this project in GameMaker?

in that case I could also help with the programming part because I have experience with it (more than Flash anyways). We already have a working plot, and I suddenly got a lot of free time so I can make sure the project doesn't freeze this time. Who's up for it?
Sublevel 113
layer restorer

Post by Sublevel 113 »

the question is: do we have enough free time?...

Vortex, I don't know. I want to see this project lives and gives final results (after these years, lol), but I don't want to see AGAIN how it gets abandoned on second day after we all decided to spend all our efforts on it...

we must care about our responsibility.
Vortex
Murtaugh's hunter

Post by Vortex »

I understand.
but if we make an effort I think it can go much quicker this time, and we will get tangible results that can motivate us not to drop the project. Gamemaker is very easy to use, for example I just did this literally in 10 min.

I think if we spend, say, 30 min each day or 1h every 2 days, we can make a working game in under 1 month.
Sublevel 113
layer restorer

Post by Sublevel 113 »

that's true. But past experiences...

Ok.
Guys. Everyone who's interested in this. what do you think?
Do we revive this project?

If we are, I have to check everything we made so far, but it takes time... That's why I ask.

We must make serious discuss here now...
Ancient Crystal
subnet notes finder

Post by Ancient Crystal »

I'm not so much concerned with pace, as long as it's measurably above zero. The question for me is- can we avoid a situation where no one is doing anything?

I would think, or at least hope, the use of tools such as GM to produce actual, playable material would be greatly helpful in this regard. It's been used to make a number of well-respected games such as Gunpoint, so we could even stick with it long-term unless someone (read: me) finally sits down and makes a programs decent point-and-click engine.

To decide whether or not we should try to make this, I suggest a simple test. With the right organization, making something large is mostly a matter of making lots of small things. Before we try to make a game, let us see if we can make a small part of a game.

For this proof-on-concept creation, I suggest the starting room, fully drawn and playable. A layout something like this. The words "Download Complete" are displayed at the screen, then you wake up in one of the stasis pods, which is either open, or not locked. You step out, complete a puzzle of some description, unlock the door and leave the room.

If we can do that, we should be able to do the rest, in time. Given the sizeable percentage of artwork threads on the front page, the drawing aspect should be manageable. Playability would fall into the hands of whoever is best with GM(*Looks at Vortex*), and that puzzle... I have some useful ideas, I should be able to write out details in a day or two.

Does this seem reasonable?
Meet the new boss, same as the old boss, if the old boss had been an octahedron, which they weren't.
Vortex
Murtaugh's hunter

Post by Vortex »

Alright, I think it's a good idea :)

But some questions first, to make sure I understood you well:
-will the game be first-person like Submachine? or do I have to draw the character inside the pod?
-what is the white rectangle below the pods in the front view? is it the ground?
-what screen will the words "Download complete" be shown in? or did you mean the game screen?