Post by Sublevel 113 »

why...
T-T
I will sleep soon after it stars...
Vortex
Murtaugh's hunter

Re: Jatsko's fanfics (discussion)

Post by Vortex »

so today's Jatsko livestream, and right after that, new purple Submachine room in homage to Prince. It will be good to see both :)
Jatsko
karma portal traveller

Post by Jatsko »

Here's a note:

"HYPNA" is no more. I have other uses for the name. The collections of transcripts I wrote is now called "Submachine: Transcripts".

I am/have adding(ed) an intro to the first post (based on when you read this). Check it out if you are interested.

Also, I'm officially on the waiting list for AO3, where I will be posting "Transcripts" as well as "The Needle" and "The Forbidden Ground" in the future, where I will have unlimited word counts :D (otherwise I would have it here :/)
ENIHCAMBUS
karma portal traveller

Post by ENIHCAMBUS »

What is AO3? Completely unfamiliar with the term.
ENIHCAMBUS: State of the Art Scanning!
🧐
Jatsko
karma portal traveller

Post by Jatsko »

Ao3 is an abbreviation for a big website to store fanfics and fanart and such.
Jatsko
karma portal traveller

Post by Jatsko »

Alright, so Submachine: Transcripts is now on AO3.

http://archiveofourown.org/users/Jatsko/pseuds/Jatsko

I will be using this site for writing and posting "The Needle" and "The Forbidden Ground". So if you're interested, bookmark it and save it. It looks pretty easy to navigate so far, and hopefully the editing process will go smoothly.

And of course, discussion for the upcoming writings can continue here :D
Jatsko
karma portal traveller

Post by Jatsko »

Big update, for anyone who's still interested:
http://j4tsko.tumblr.com/post/144046115 ... cs-planned
Jatsko
karma portal traveller

Post by Jatsko »

For those who are still interested...fanfic thoughts.

Let's be honest. All of these fanfics are going to be, to some degree, f'ed up. (Saving the swear words for the actual works XD) And not just from the overarching awe and confusion that is the Subnet and how convoluted the physics and time is and everything, but the actual experiences and mindsets of the explorers.

I want these to be gritty. Down-to-earth, raw, uncensored. Trying to introduce a real human element to the Subnet, and not just a computer typing commands in the background, or a player clicking on notes about lost explorers.

There will be blood. And much more.
Happy, Sublevel?

I've outlined the plots for all 3 fanfics, but here I want to show you what I have in mind as far as "story setup" instead. And I know I'm talking a lot and revealing a lot about these fanfics, but I need to provide material in order to gauge your reactions and wants.

(And reactions are appreciated!)

Take a look:

The big concept, which I've already hinted at, is that the Subnet was part of this grand project called Trinity, which was built to store information of human history. (Why? Not too fast...) The three big parts of Trinity describe three different technological advances made to help the building process. SHIVA is the first, the actual physical space that the information would exist in, along with the layer concept to help store more information in a single spot. THOTH is the second, originally built as a "think ahead" device to track possible outcomes of the human race but also was used to store more information in the Subnet via different timelines. And HYPNOS is the third, an attempt to track the possibilities of human imagination and abstract thinking. I'm not sure exactly how yet, but all three of these devices were somehow married to form TRINITY, the basis for all human information.

^ I figured this would be ok to have spoiler-free, because it helps clarify my thoughts to you guys, I think, and opens up a little more grounds for discussion.

Each of the fanfics will attempt to keep one of these three "pillars" in mind when they're written. For example:

(Spoiler tags here to protect anyone who wants to know next-to-nothing before the updates start)

THE NEEDLE - I've pretty much hinted already that this one will focus the most on the SHIVA aspect, and as a result will include many stories of travelers in the fractured Subnet. So a lot of characters, a lot of settings. I even might go into why the Subnet was originally built here. And of course we know that a good chunk of it will be about certain characters trying to fix the damage done by Murtaugh. So expect a type of writing found in such things like the "Lost" TV series here. A lot of perspectives and angles. A lot of real-world grit, survival, taking sides, the like.

THE FORBIDDEN GROUND - Contrary to "The Needle" this fanfic will have very few characters and will instead focus on concentrated concentrations between them, the thoughts they have, and other things of that nature. I want this one to feel much more open than THE NEEDLE will be. This one will be written with THOTH in mind, so expect a good amount of time-travel/alternate timeline talk here. I'm going to try to keep the dialogue from the game "Firewatch" in mind as I write this. So expect a lot of personal reflections in this one/ discussions geared toward only one or two people.

THE RUNNER - I didn't originally have this planned, but I thought it felt more complete to have a triple-threat instead of just two. (Why the fuck not, I'm already planning on writing more this summer than I ever have before in my life.) The last "pillar", HYPNOS, will focus on a dream world and the minds behind the device meant to catalog human imagination and whatever. And how it goes wrong, of course. There's a lot for this fanfic where I'm unsure how to write it, but I have a couple ideas. Eventually I want to take this grand notion of a "garden of imagination" and show the slow leeching of its resources and effectiveness as the Subnet was ripped apart, people stopped using it, and everything becomes disjointed. Access points to experience the dream world disappear, and the world itself turns bland and impoverished. See where I'm going here?

Yes, that's where I'm going with "The Runner". Inspired by Mateusz's latest discussions for future games, the connections were too alluring to ignore. Therefore, "The Runner" will end up being about a direct tie between Submachine and DAYMARE TOWN.

(now do you see who the Runner might be?)

I know this post doesn't give a 100% clarification of what I have in mind, but if you chose to read under the black bars and be informed ahead of time, hopefully it makes a bit more sense.

Guys. I need feedback too. Even if you're not sure what to write about, I want to hear something.

(Is anyone reading these? Or are you all refusing to read until everything comes out? :D If that's the case, just know that they're not coming out all at once. They WILL be updated regularly over a long period of time. Not a one-and-done deal.)

----

Speaking of which, for anyone who wants to get involved in being reminded about updates, I don't really know how AO3 handles fanfic updates to people who are tracking their progress, so if you have information, let me know so I can be informed along with anyone else who has questions :D
Sublevel 113
layer restorer

Post by Sublevel 113 »

happy.
:3

*not reading spoilers*

Just please, don't abandon any of your work. :D