Submachine Wiki

Augustus
wisdom crystal finder

Re: Submachine Wiki

Post by Augustus »

I also requested admin rights for the Dutch Submachine wiki.
Jatsko
karma portal traveller

Post by Jatsko »

The "old design" is actually only 3 years old and has been updated to reflect the addition of Sub10 to the series, and I made it specifically to represent all Submachine games equally and not put any one in the spotlight over the others. I'm not sure what you're trying to specifically achieve with the current one of having Mur and Liz in the forefront and regressing back to a Sub9 feel.

But as long as we're going for personal opinions, I've actually had the thought for the longest time that there's really no need to have a logo file like we do at all. Especially with the designs we pick for it, they're way too complex for an image that's scaled down a lot and shoved into the right side of the welcome page. I forget to look at it 99.5% of the time I open up the front page. So I would say either revamp the design to be much more simple and striking, like an actual modern logo, or ditch the concept entirely and free up space on the front page.
Augustus
wisdom crystal finder

Post by Augustus »

Apocrypha wrote:The "old design" is actually only 3 years old and has been updated to reflect the addition of Sub10 to the series, and I made it specifically to represent all Submachine games equally and not put any one in the spotlight over the others. I'm not sure what you're trying to specifically achieve with the current one of having Mur and Liz in the forefront and regressing back to a Sub9 feel.

But as long as we're going for personal opinions, I've actually had the thought for the longest time that there's really no need to have a logo file like we do at all. Especially with the designs we pick for it, they're way too complex for an image that's scaled down a lot and shoved into the right side of the welcome page. I forget to look at it 99.5% of the time I open up the front page. So I would say either revamp the design to be much more simple and striking, like an actual modern logo, or ditch the concept entirely and free up space on the front page.
That comment is more depressing than the ending of Hachi.
Jatsko
karma portal traveller

Post by Jatsko »

Discussion furthered on Talk:Submachine Wiki logo.png.

Any feedback that's not just a bout of hyperbole is welcome.
Augustus
wisdom crystal finder

Post by Augustus »

The old wiki logo's that are now (sadly in my opinion) removed:
Last edited by Augustus on 10 Nov 2018 14:58, edited 1 time in total.
Sublevel 113
layer restorer

Post by Sublevel 113 »

O_o
What Submachine has last picture in title screen?
Or is it custom for Wiki?
Jatsko
karma portal traveller

Post by Jatsko »

That would be Ko9 being butthurt that Ant and I called the logo file on the Wiki a dumpster fire after several thought-out explanations on why it hasn't been serving any practical purpose for a number of years. This happened on a live stream I did so I understand if you don't get the context. And there's nothing like spreading salt across multiple social media platforms, I guess. Maybe he'll calm down in a few hours and think this through a bit more.

On topic: we also discussed an alternate future home for theories on the Wiki, as several people think that maybe it's time they were moved off of mainspace pages and transfered to the SubWiki forums or even here. This would probably also eliminate the chances of any future voting sessions, but I also wonder if that's an outdated tradition as well that serves no bigger purpose other than to recategorize everyone's theories by validity. Discussions welcome on relevant talk pages.
Augustus
wisdom crystal finder

Post by Augustus »

Apocrypha wrote:That would be Ko9 being butthurt that Ant and I called the logo file on the Wiki a dumpster fire after several thought-out explanations on why it hasn't been serving any practical purpose for a number of years. This happened on a live stream I did so I understand if you don't get the context. And there's nothing like spreading salt across multiple social media platforms, I guess. Maybe he'll calm down in a few hours and think this through a bit more.

On topic: we also discussed an alternate future home for theories on the Wiki, as several people think that maybe it's time they were moved off of mainspace pages and transfered to the SubWiki forums or even here. This would probably also eliminate the chances of any future voting sessions, but I also wonder if that's an outdated tradition as well that serves no bigger purpose other than to recategorize everyone's theories by validity. Discussions welcome on relevant talk pages.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=isrF__5gdII
Jatsko
karma portal traveller

Post by Jatsko »

So for those of you who were around for that Wiki editing live stream I did a week or so ago, you might remember we had a discussion about removing theories from the wiki and transferring them somewhere else, since most of them aren't canon and it doesn't make sense to some people that they should share the same space as strict information on the series. I ultimately share this view, and even though I've spent a lot of work over the past few years tidying up the theory pages and heading voting sessions, etc. the whole practice goes against the philosophy that the Wiki should be strictly used for presenting canon Submachine information only, like any other Wiki would do.

I've talked with people like Anteroinen and Montinevra about finding a new home for theories, and I wondered if the best place for them would ultimately be on this forum. Granted this means that theory voting in the future would be almost impossible (the Wiki's editing system made it relatively easy) but then I started wondering what purpose the voting system serves in the first place. None of the results ever contribute to anything "canon" in the Submachine FicVerse, and I think Ant pointed out that the voting system is not any form of criteria for which theories are included in the SubVerse.

So I'm offering to ditch the voting system and consider it an old relic of the community that no longer serves an apparent purpose, and offer to use this form as an archive of theories made by everyone, in which each user would get their own thread.

Please offer your thoughts!
Anteroinen
subnet traveller

Post by Anteroinen »

Quite. I think there could be a page similar to "Notes" that includes all the theories that are in the games. But the rest...? I've never seen the point of having them in there, to be completely honest.

Voting especially is something that barely anyone took part in and that was increasingly exhausting TO take part in. Nobody cares to read a hundred increasingly incoherent theories made before Sub6 even came out to give their arbitrary score to a theory of someone who in all likelyhood is no longer even active in the fandom. That sounds really harsh, but it is also the truth for the large part.

To those worried about possible loss of history, I have just gone through the theories on the theory list, and uploaded all of them onto the Wayback Machine. This had already been done by someone prior in 2013, but many new pages were now Waybacked and re-Waybacked. I will try to do this again tomorrow, to make sure all theories are for certain saved.

http://web.archive.org/web/201805111628 ... i/Theories

EDIT: http://web.archive.org/web/201805120755 ... i/Theories

There, redone. If someone has a theory NOT saved on this list, not would be a good time to tell me about it, because even my archiving patience has its limits.
Last edited by Anteroinen on 12 May 2018 12:21, edited 2 times in total.
"We didn't leave the Stone Age, because we ran out of stones."