Murtaugh's hunter

Re: Research Team 28X2005

Post by Vortex »

right, i forgot :D
Sublevel 113
layer restorer

Post by Sublevel 113 »

reading all those comments about Sub1extended...

GEE GUYS
WHY DO YOU PLAY GAMES FOR??????????????????????

nevermind...
I prepare Murtaugh's comments
Vortex
Murtaugh's hunter

Post by Vortex »

huh? do you mean us, or comments from the game site?
Sublevel 113
layer restorer

Post by Sublevel 113 »

from game sites.
Sublevel 113
layer restorer

Post by Sublevel 113 »

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Murtaugh's posts
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------

from Frontsteps
Mateusz J. Skutnik
11/22/05 10:16:36 AM

donut thingy - the orb machine above the radio room works properly only if the electricity is turned on. not blown up m
from Lazylaces
Murtaugh:
ok. so here how it is.
I got hundreds of emails asking me to create more difficult game. I'm working on it right now. Submachine2. In the meantime I present you with this slightly enhanced version of the first game. It's harder and has twice as much rooms. That's because every other mail said:
too short
too simple.
well, if you thought so playing submachine, here's your chance to stretch your brains a little bit more.
I assure you, there is no glitch in this game whatsoever. The "three switches machine" is working correctly.
wait.
Im spoiling too much.
There's something that I'd like to tell you, but don't want to spoil the fun for the one that finds it.
Enough.
Now go and solve this game.
m

Comment 21, Saturday, October 22nd 2005 08:24:00 PM
Matt:
At the end, does it matter which door you choose?

Comment 5, Saturday, October 22nd 2005 07:44:00 PM

Murtaugh:
>Comment By Matt
>at the end, does it matter which door you choose?

well, it depends on if you want to wake up in your bed, and believe whatever you want to, or if you want to stay in wonderland and see how deep the rabbit hole goes....

;)

m

Comment 29, Saturday, October 22nd 2005 08:37:00 PM
MeChA-mAsTeR:
Question to the author. Others please dont look at this if you can help it, i'm not sure if this is anything at all, but....

Hey... If you are reading this you probably made the game unless you are just someone who doesn't listen, but......
whats up with the trap door thingy over the machine you put the spoon on?

Comment 27, Saturday, October 22nd 2005 08:33:00 PM

Murtaugh:
>Comment By MeChA-mAsTeR
>whats up with the trap door thingy

you didn't figure that out? c'mon. Now you've got to play again. :D
m

Comment 30, Saturday, October 22nd 2005 08:38:00 PM
MeChA-mAsTeR:
REALLY MURTAUGH!!!!!!! Is this something, or just to make me play again? Cuz iv'e already played and go through both doors.Is this the secret? Is this pointless? Am I annoying? Well I don't care!!! Tell me what it is at my e-mail if you dont wanna tell any1 else!!! WEIRD_SE@canada.com and TELL ME!!!!

Comment 32, Saturday, October 22nd 2005 08:41:00 PM

MeChA-mAsTeR:
I can spam you murtaugh!!! Just remember that!!! Oh, and by the way that game was awsome! I hope you make more then just one. Oh oh and also, make sure to finish the story of that mentaly ill dude or something! That was intruiging!

Comment 33, Saturday, October 22nd 2005 08:44:00 PM

Murtaugh:
>Is this something?
>Is this the secret?
>Is this pointless?
>am I annoying?

yes.
yes.
no.
no.

Comment 35, Saturday, October 22nd 2005 08:45:00 PM

Murtaugh:
>Comment By MeChA-mAsTeR
>make sure to finish the story of that mentaly ill dude or something! That was intruiging!

sure thing. The second page of the diary is already written and placed in submachine2.

Comment 37, Saturday, October 22nd 2005 08:48:00 PM
Joel:
Got the "wisdom" what is the point of it?

Comment 40, Saturday, October 22nd 2005 08:38:00 PM

MeChA-mAsTeR:
Murtaugh plz tell me!!! I really want to no!!!!

Comment 41, Saturday, October 22nd 2005 08:55:00 PM

KCat:
I got everything but one triangle...got 3 green lights on doughnut shaped orb thingy, but nothin...did I blow up the generator too early? But if you don't...how did you get the cover off the othe switch? It was blown off too.

Comment 45, Saturday, October 22nd 2005 08:48:00 PM

Murtaugh:
>Comment By Joel
>Got the "wisdom" what is the point of it?

congrats. but wait, you don't know what the wisdom is for? :D
It means you're wise, man.

@ MeChA-mAsTeR
I sent you an email. Try to figure this by yourself, pls.

Comment 47, Saturday, October 22nd 2005 08:58:00 PM

Murtaugh:
>Comment By KCat
>doughnut shaped orb thingy

lol

Comment 49, Saturday, October 22nd 2005 09:02:00 PM
MeChA-mAsTeR:
I got the wisdom! Thats the secret! But whats it do?

Comment 51, Saturday, October 22nd 2005 08:55:00 PM

MeChA-mAsTeR:
Mortaugh I new about that switch before, but i didn't look at the trap door after i threw it! I could of had that ages ago! Anyway looking forward to your next game!

Comment 53, Saturday, October 22nd 2005 09:09:00 PM

Murtaugh:
>Comment By MeChA-mAsTeR
>I got the wisdom! Thats the secret! But whats it do?

it indicates that you're clever.
see you in submachine2. ;)
m

Comment 54, Saturday, October 22nd 2005 09:10:00 PM
Webby:
First off...Ilove this extended version!
The normal version was super too.

But I'm stuck at the donut shaped thing with the green lights too.

If anybody could tell me what to do in a spoiler that would be great.
I've done everything else already.

Comment 55, Saturday, October 22nd 2005 09:06:00 PM

Quinn:
got the wisdom! do you do anything with it?

Comment 56, Saturday, October 22nd 2005 09:02:00 PM

Murtaugh:
>Comment By Webby
>I've done everything else already.
I guess thats where the problem is.

Comment 57, Saturday, October 22nd 2005 09:13:00 PM

MeChA-mAsTeR:
Gotcha Murtaugh ^^

A few questions about the creation of the game though

What program? Flash MX?
How long did it take you?
Was it easy, or hard?
Do I talk alot? (I already know the answer to that 1!!!)

Comment 58, Saturday, October 22nd 2005 09:12:00 PM

Murtaugh:
>Comment By Quinn
>got the wisdom! do you do anything with it?
you keep it. share it with your children when they're learning.
Or just use it during exams.
:D

m

Comment 59, Saturday, October 22nd 2005 09:14:00 PM

Murtaugh:
>Comment By MeChA-mAsTeR
>What program? Flash MX?
>How long did it take you?
>Was it easy, or hard?

1. Yes.
2. Well, the game was already done. The extension took me, let me think, 6 hours.
3. It wasn't easy, it wasn't hard, it was FUN!

Comment 60, Saturday, October 22nd 2005 09:15:00 PM
Scammy2010:
Lol, i like how in the end

you have a choice betwenn the "red door or the blue door. Matrix reference?

Comment 72, Saturday, October 22nd 2005 10:39:00 PM

Tia:
Ugh cant find last piece, the rooms are confusing. Nonetheless great game Murtaugh still think you are too talented!!

Comment 73, Saturday, October 22nd 2005 10:49:00 PM

Murtaugh:
>Comment By Scammy2010
>Matrix reference?
sure.

>Comment By Tia
> Murtaugh still think you are too talented!!

*blush*

Comment 75, Saturday, October 22nd 2005 11:03:00 PM
Dolly:
everyone keeps saying that Murtaugh should't have made this so similar to the first one. I think you're forgetting that this is an extended version, not the second episode. can't wait to see the second version. Great game!!

Comment 135, Sunday, October 23rd 2005 07:30:00 PM

Murtaugh:
>Comment By Dolly
> I think you're forgetting that this is an extended version, not the second episode.

exactly.
submachine2 will be totally different.

Comment 137, Sunday, October 23rd 2005 07:56:00 PM
Amanda:
Oh yeah, and that painting. Does that do anything?

Comment 154, Monday, October 24th 2005 02:17:00 PM

Murtaugh:
the painting has a signature on it.
sub_2

its a lighthouse where the second part will take place.

but - how is it going to be sub?.....

wait and see. :P

Comment 158, Monday, October 24th 2005 07:19:00 PM
Sweetcorn:
Loved the game... MORE MORE MORE!
Murtaugh, you don't have anything else to do right? So keep 'em comin'. I am a sucker for that kind of game.

Comment 175, Wednesday, October 26th 2005 01:18:00 AM

Murtaugh:
>Comment By Sweetcorn
>Murtaugh, you don't have anything else to do right?

that's the problem, that I dont have time right now to develope sub_2. it's like done in 1/4 only, and waiting forbetter times. :/

m

Comment 179, Wednesday, October 26th 2005 01:25:00 PM
Debra:
Lovely game! Very fun, not too difficult, but difficult enough to be fun. Thanks Murtagh!

Comment 184, Thursday, October 27th 2005 03:36:00 PM

Murtaugh:
>Comment By Debra
>Lovely game! Very fun, not too difficult, but difficult enough to be >fun. Thanks Murtagh!

no problemo. ;)
m

Comment 186, Friday, October 28th 2005 07:14:00 AM
Tia:
I think its great that you come on the website once in a while murtaugh and reply to comments (its always good to acknowledge the fans). Anyway, you deserve the praise 'cause we swamped all over it when we saw the name 'submachine extended'. Our hearts started racing and we couldnt wait to start lol.

Comment 202, Monday, October 31st 2005 11:10:00 PM

Murtaugh:
yep.

*acknowledges Tia*

m

Comment 203, Wednesday, November 2nd 2005 08:09:00 AM
Very Bad Chatspeaker:
Lovely, highly addictive game with mysterious, slightly creepy music. The whole thing conveyed a sensation of bleakness and desolation, but my hypersensitive mind and overly vivid and uncontrolled imagination, after reading that probably relatively innocuous diary entry, proceeded to conjure up a tinge of an undercurrent of underlying darkness and horror. The utter loneliness of the whole thing, as well as the maze of sparsely furnished rooms, made me scream inwardly occasionally and shudder slightly. It was, despite the fact that I had the whole bare expanse of empty room space all to myself, highly claustrophobic in a way. Before I came upon this marvellous site, I blundered through the rooms aimlessly, alternately weeping for escape and contemplating closing the browser window and quitting the game. But I was hooked. I HAD to finish the game. Every time I exited, I was back in the next ten minutes, swearing under my breath one moment and praying the next for either succour or release. Neither came until I read your myriad hints, tips, (mini) walkthroughs and spoilers, although I sometimes found several of them quite incomprehensibe. Anyway, after I finally staggered, battered and shellshocked, out of the (red) door, I, being inexplicably masochistic all of a sudden, went back in, this time selecting the blue door as my means of egress. And I went on playing, again and again, ecstatic that I had found a point-and-click game that was, within my fairly wide scope of experience, almost, if not completely, unprecedented and unparalleled in sheer unattenuated genius.

Goodness, I just reread what I wrote and found it unfathomable. It was similar to wandering through an impenetrable fog (a.k.a. playing Submachine Extended Version for my first time). I'm a fine one to talk about puzzling messages. And my sentence structure is deplorable. Argh.

Oh, great, now I'm soliloquising. I think I'd better go off and write a poem in order to get all these sentiments out of my head. OUT, DAMN SPOT!

But seriously, it was all inadvertent. I'm not, and I wasn't, trying to use bombastic language to deliberately obfuscate. I'm very contrite.

Anyway, all the pompous words I just spewed can be summarised and truncated to one (comparatively) succinct, concise and precise statement of fact:

SUBMACHINE EXTENDED VERSION PWNX0R5 T3H M3T@PH0RIC@L 50XOR5! N0W P@Y 0B3I5@NC3 2 MURTAUGH!!!11!!!!1!1!

Comment 215, Sunday, January 1st 2006 07:02:00 AM

Very Bad Chatspeaker:
Did I do that chatspeak and "1337speak" accurately enough? I hope I depicted inarticulate, incoherent raving well enough. That's what the game reduced my lucid thought to, originally. At first, its effect on me was to transform me into a bawling, blubbering wreck. Perhaps an improvement. Anyway, one last thing:

They always say it takes 40-something muscles to frown and 20-something muscles to smile, but never how many to just be sarcastic. ---By Me, The Very Bad Chatspeaker/T3H UB3R B@D CH@TSPK3R/T3H "N00B"

Comment 216, Sunday, January 1st 2006 07:09:00 AM

Murtaugh:
@ chatspeaker:
thanks.
but you've overdone it. :D

Comment 219, Monday, January 30th 2006 09:33:00 AM
Billy:
I need to know what you do with that wisdom thing you get close to the end!!! it is important:):)

Comment 226, Saturday, June 10th 2006 06:18:00 PM

Think~Pink:
It isn't very important in this game, but I expect all will be revealed when submachine 2 is released :o)

Comment 227, Sunday, June 11th 2006 01:15:00 AM

Murtaugh:
and that is today :D

Comment 228, Tuesday, June 13th 2006 01:34:00 PM
from JayIsGames
ejay
October 23, 2005 12:13 PM

If there's one thing i really dislike with point&click games, it's the 'dead end syndrome' - You get to a certain point from which the game cannot be solved because of a certain error you made in some previous step, and what's worse is that there's no indication of this fact , meaning that any further effort you put into the game is a complete waste of time. (Zack Mcracken probably rings some bells to some of the older ones among you).

I may be horribly wrong, but did anybody else get to such point in this game?:
using the spoon to short the power prior to retrieving the metal piece from the round device (the one with lightnings and three red/green lights) seems to make it impossible to get it later on.

mateusz skutnik
October 23, 2005 3:36 PM

@ ejay
well, htis game is easy. So I thought I'd make it harder by including such a dead end. Just to make it more difficult to finish. And btw - did you play hapland? that game is nothing but dead ends.
and - thank you all for playing. See you in submachine2.

and for those wondering what's the hatch for - it can be solved pretty easily, especially if you are able to finish that "simple" game.

and maybe one more thing - if anyone has some ideas on how to make difficult puzzles, feel free to eail me.

thanks again.
m

ejay
October 24, 2005 4:43 AM

Mateusz,
just wanted to set things straight- i like your game :-)
It has nice puzzles, nice graphics and nice atmospheric sound effects. Which is probably why I was dissapointed by this dead end thing. It's a cheap way of extending a game's longevity.

You mentioned hapland - true, that game has many dead-ends but they're incorporated into the gameplay- Most of them are clearly noticeable (you know that when your guy dies you should probably restart), and even when they're not ,they still work well with the basic premise of the game- you know that the point of the game is to trigger a certain set of events in a certain order and almost always there is some visual feedback letting you see that you've reached a point of which there is no return.
And that's probaly the point i'm trying to make- it's not that horrible that you actually used a dead end, but you should have let the player know.
from NEWGROUNDS
Aguro
February 2, 2006

I've always enjoyed these style of games.
Nicely done, the music works for it and the animation is well done. The room transitions aren't spectacular though, just "swish" and you are there. Perhaps some sort of transition would give that feeling of movement from room to room.

Mateusz-Skutnik responds:

...but would be very annoying later in the game when you have to move from one end of the installation to the other, and you want to do it quickly. This is the fastes way to move between those rooms.
ms
ZeTimEnVec
February 2, 2006

really good
but what the hell do i do with the spoon?

this game has been out there for some time now. google for the solution if you must.
ms
mattsand
February 2, 2006

Really fucking good.
That ambient music is fantastic, really creates a mood. maybe you could add some kind of time element into your next game, somebodys after you so you have to solve it fast.

um, not really, I never liked timed p'n'c games. it's all about thinking hard, solving the riddles, not being fast.
submachine2 will be much more complicated and longer though.
ms
Klocek
February 2, 2006

Great
Make sure you'll reach the end of it. I loved the previos part, and I really enjoyed this one as well...
Chociaz nie udalo mi sie jeszcze dotrzec do konca... Czwarty element ukladanki mnie zabija :P Pozdrowienia od krajana

if you're stuck and at the verge of quitting, you can always google the net for a solution.
[ pzdr klocek ;) ]
ms
ZeroHour776
February 2, 2006

Nice
I always love these type of games since I like puzzles. Anyhow I have a question, is there a point to the wisdom object?

nope. it's a reward for being wise.
and its a starter for the submachine2, but enough said for now.
ms
Seawana
February 2, 2006

Superb.
Wow! This is a very cool escape game.
I don't usually love these kinds of games because I have more of an "action game" mentality. Even still, this one was so clean and stylish I had to play.
I love the way you move between rooms. It's so simple and quick it makes navigation a snap. Very nice.
I have one MAJOR gripe. You have assured I will play this at least one more time because I had just found the third puzzle piece and I clicked on the "R". Gah! What just happened? That resets the game without any warning?! Not good, man. Not good. Some kind of warning would be a very good idea for a button like that. :-/
Anyhow, Keep up the good work. I hope I can solve this game the next time around without closing the browser or doing anything else that resets it.

ok, tomorrow I'll change it. But wait, how can I change it if I stole this game? :D
no, wait, I didn't steal this game, I CAN change that especially on your request. ;)
cehck tomorrow for yourself.
ms
darkdude749
February 2, 2006

hey great game but its hard lol
yo ms... can u help me? can u giv me a site or sumthing that can help me finish the game lmao thx
\\//peace

google for 'submachine extended walkthrough'.
will come up with something. I've seen a japanese walkthorugh of my game, but english one should be there too. ;D
ms
DreadlocksBoy
February 2, 2006

A solid game.
It's a great game, well done, and I like the atmospheric music, but I have two major gripes with it:
1. The R button. Halfway through I got curious and pushed it, starting me back at the beginning. Ironically though, I actually needed to start over. Which brings me to
2. The fact that it's possible to "lose." If you do certain things out of order, it's possible to have to start over. The second time through I quickly realized what I had done wrong, but I shouldn't have to start over.

I've just uploaded a new version of submachine, the 'R' button is well indicated as a reset button. Funny I didn't think of that before...
well, at least this problem is solved, just wish people would stop saying this game is stolen, since I've just proven it's not.
ms
Seraph
February 2, 2006

This seems eerily familiar.
People think this is stolen because it bears resemblance to Mystery of time and space. The wheel, the clock, a few things I can see are quite familiar. Quite nicely done though.

I don't think that's a reason. I played motas some time ago, and that game is very different from submachine. There are a lot of games that use a clock, a wheel and some other similar things, and most of all - a trash bin with papers in it. ;)
m
male20Colorado
February 2, 2006

Good.
I like these style of games. Had some unique strategic features. I think I just guessed lucky cause I was reading some reviews and people had a hard time on this. Not sure if there is two endings or something by how the level ends...not sure. Fun game though. ~props~

this game does not have two endings. behind red door there's a proper ending, just like in submachine 'not extended' version, behind blue door is a sneak preview of the second game, submachine2.
ir-joe
February 2, 2006

interesting..
so whats with the attic thats always closed at the very top room?
oh did i mention, great game? :D

its a solvable secret.
try again. ;)
ms
zaphod-019
February 3, 2006

i love it...
pretty cool game
simple stylish graphics, cool sound effects & interactive options
reminds me of something called m**t, you know :-)

yeah, myst, Iknow. I get that a lot.
So I went to the shop to see this mysterious myst for myself and bought myst5.
One thing I have to say: damn! I'd like to be able to create such 3d game! I've got the ideas, but it's just not my enviroment, I'm not into 3d at all. ;(
ms
fRigid-fRog
February 3, 2006

Excellent and Simple.
I just joined Newgrounds because I needed to say that this admission is wonderful. I've played several games like this, including Mystery of Time and Space, and the idea of this being stolen is ridiculous. Uses of clocks and wheels in games is a staple, and if you're looking for pure originality then keep in mind that even Pong was borrowed. I have to say that I really liked playing this game and can't wait for another one. Highly recommended. And for a quick question: what's the point of the wisdom crystal in the attic?

uhm, it's a reward for being wise?
no particular purpose, not in this game at least. ;)
ms
Exedor
February 3, 2006

I played this a long time ago...somewhere else.
I'm glad it's here now. It's GREAT!!
How's Submachine2 coming along???
:)

slowly. :/
1/3 done. It's really longer and tougher game, not only to play but to create as well. :/
ms
xaus
February 3, 2006

beautifully done
ENG:great game, in-deep plot and fantastic graphics =D
PL:cudna gra =] i mi³o widziec ze Polacy tez cos submituja na NG =] dawno nie mia³em przyjemnoœci widzieæ tak piêknej pracy z naszego kraju =]

hehe
sie wie!
smilejb
February 6, 2006

Loved it.
But, the spoon. By myself, I thought the spoon had something to do with the leaky pipe area. I found the other use for it though. I got 3 pieces of the damn thing.
Can anyone tell me exactly where to use the spoon the first time? I feel as if I have used it everwhere before getting rid of it. (I need to know, like how many inches from the bottom or top, how many inches from the left, or right, and yes. I am that pathetic.).

you need spoon only for one thing. to blow up tha damn generator. but you have to do it in the RIGHT TIME, as the last thing to make sure you'll get through everything. because disabling the generator disables something else. ;P
ms
KILLA-LOT
February 6, 2006

Help me author
where is the little marble that go's in the clock?
I really can't find that thing.. maybe i need glasses :/
please help me, thank you,

it's inside the elaking pipe.
try to get it out somehow.
ms
Shinobi-Kamashi
February 6, 2006

Finally
After a lot of toil I manged to get out of that god forsaken lighthouse. If anyone wonders how I managed such a thing, let's just say it's secret, but if you are wondering how to get that infernal pearl for that bloddy clock ! I will tell you:
Downstairs in the top left corner, there are three symbols, they can be like --| , now as you go upstairs, you find that there are some similar circles with similar signs in them, you need to make the ones upstaris similar to the ones downstairs, then gou further upstairs, and turn the valve, thereby blowing the leaking pipe in the basement to pieces. You figure out the rest.
Great game, I love point and click ^^

one thing:
this is not a lighthouse.
this is a basement.
the picture of a lighthouse is signed: sub_2, which means the second part will take place in a lighthouse. half way through developing that I am.
:|,
damn, talking like Yoda I am. :/
ms
FORUM POSTS
from Submachine Wiki

http://submachine.wikia.com/wiki/Forum_posts
Nov 17, 2005 10:40 am November 17, 2005 10:40 am

To send more feedback or join my submachine mailing list you can email me:

mateusz@rewolucje.com

frequently asked questions:

1. what was the purpose of the diary?

in submachine1 the diary page is pointless, it was only created to distract players. However the story is growing and in submachine2 the diary will take part in solving the game.

2. what is the wisdom gem for?

it's a reward for finding the hidden room. It indicates tha whoever finds it is wise. As before, wisdom gem will be necessary to kick off the sequel.

Posted: Thu Nov 17, 2005 10:40 am; Subject: Submachine1: the basement
Last edited by Sublevel 113 on 04 Oct 2015 18:14, edited 5 times in total.
Vortex
Murtaugh's hunter

Post by Vortex »

interesting comments.
you keep it. share it with your children when they're learning.
Or just use it during exams.

so, we can pass to Sub2 now? or... Sub2 sketch?
Sublevel 113
layer restorer

Post by Sublevel 113 »

comments analysis?
general conclusion about Sub1 saga? (events ingame and outside the game)
Lord of Flies
subbot maintenance

Post by Lord of Flies »

We always thought creating game with a dead end was a mistake... Now it turns out it was purposeful action, to frustrate people, that thought game was too easy...
ThunderDasher
subnet notes finder

Post by ThunderDasher »

Sublevel 102 wrote:
Joel:
Got the "wisdom" what is the point of it?

Comment 40, Saturday, October 22nd 2005 08:38:00 PM

Murtaugh:
>Comment By Joel
>Got the "wisdom" what is the point of it?

congrats. but wait, you don't know what the wisdom is for? :D
It means you're wise, man.

Comment 49, Saturday, October 22nd 2005 09:02:00 PM
Interesting stuff here. Or was it just a random "Murtaugh-ish" comment?

Hmmmm.
"...But I shall forgive you. There are some things in life that cannot be achieved." ~Wise man
NOT CHANGING THIS SIG UNTIL SUBMACHINE: THE FARM COMES OUT, which is never :/
Sublevel 113
layer restorer

Post by Sublevel 113 »

you are wise because you found secret.
first ever secret in submachine series. (even before sub2 was released!)