RoentgenDevice's theories/ interpretations

RoentgenDevice
subnet notes finder

RoentgenDevice's theories/ interpretations

Post by RoentgenDevice »

(So, my first post here is my theory/ interpretation of the Submachine series. It's separated into four parts that get tied together in the fifth part. It is a pretty long theory, but I tried my best to make it not too confusing and to cover the "core" part of the Submachine mistery. Hope this worked.

Full of spoilers, of course! ;) )

Submachine is what it is- theory/ interpretation

What is Submachine?
Submachine is a series of point and click games that deal with some of the big, philosophical questions. (Probably) Everyone who gets immersed into those games automatically thinks about stuff like, “Who made the submachine (≙ our universe/ world)”, “Why are we in the Submachine (≙ universe/ world)”etc.

The 4th wall in the submachine games
“4th wall” is a term that originates from the science of theatre: It’s the invisible wall between the audience and the actors. The 4th wall breaks when the actors refer to the audience or to the fact that they’re acting a play.
Video games usually break the 4th wall by, well, gameplay. Without the player, a video game could not really exist. The situation is different with a movie, which is able to run on its own. It doesn’t really need you.
This is the explanation for the whole “Isn’t that just an image on a computer screen?” stuff in Sub2. You watch the movie memory and are able to grab a card out of it- that’s not just an image on your screen, because you are able to interact with it. The Oxford dictionary defines “image” as a representation of the external form of a thing (or person). By interacting with an “image”, you would destroy this form, because you make it look another way than it did before you interacted. An image has an unbreakable 4th wall (apart from the ability to interact with the spectator’s inner life, of course). Like the movie at the end of Sub2 does, too: You have absolutely no influence on it. The end movie is, in fact, an image/ a series of images on your screen.
Later in the series, at the end of Sub9, to be exact, this rather easy definition of video game interaction gets doubted again. You have to learn that it wasn’t really you who shut off the defense systems- it happened by itself, due to another, unknown character in the game or maybe a “past you” that was there before even started to play the submachine series or whatnot. The whole thing went on at its own, like a movie plot… and if you think about it, it’s like this in almost every video game. (Except of plot-less games and “Stanley Parable”. This game –which the creator of the series mentions on his Facebook- is about making little environment modifications that change the whole game plot. Your interaction actually matters here.)
The boundaries between player interactivity, player identification and non- interaction disappear in the submachine (games).

The puzzles
The existence/ non- existence of the 4th wall in the submachine (games) leads directly to the purpose of the puzzles. I don’t think they are there to test humans or to make us think extravagantly and suchlike. In the Submachine (games), Puzzles are our friends and our lifeline. In a world of (human-term) disorienting, sometimes physics-defying structures, totally illogical timelines and even the uncertainty if it’s really you who is in control of the games’ storyline, Puzzles are the only thing in the Submachine where you are actually, certainly, needed and involved. Puzzles don’t get solved by themselves. Regardless of whether someone did this before us, or whether it triggers a plot advance, if we want to solve them and continue our voyage through Submachine (games), our human logic is totally sufficient.

Religion and deities
…can be another lifeline in the submachine (world), like they can be one in real life to some people, too (I try to avoid any religious statements here). There are a lot of ancient, religious symbols and hints throughout the series, but there’s never a definition of one “right” religion. There’s not even a statement if there actually is a god in the submachine/ our real world- the Buddhist and Hindu tone of Sub9 just bases on statements of, probably ancient, believers.
In our heads, stuff like the control of your inner, invisible energy and the being of our consciousness (≙ Karma?) is often linked to Religion, especially Buddhism. Even if they are mentioned in art. In Submachine- and in our real life, too- it doesn’t really matter if we e.g. feel a deity when meditating (RL) or if we get near to Shiva when discovering a layer of light on our layer- transferring device (Submachine).

Roundup
My theory/ theories is/ are called “Submachine is what it is”, because I don’t believe the games really try to tell a story from a “possible” and “tangible” world, like most Science Fiction and Fantasy games, books and movies do, but I don’t think that they show us a simulation or dream, either (which is officially debunked, anyway). Submachine is a game series that creates a world that is as real as our lifelong, philosophical questions- which are existent because we ask them (this is probably a way to explain the “You’re the one who’s guiding that light” thing in Sub9), but only existent when spoken out or written down- all Video games are only existent when thought out and created, published and played.

We don’t dive in because of very realistic graphics but because of our belonging to solve Mysteries (and Puzzles). Humanity will go on searching for Mysteries and their solutions (if there are some) forever. (≙“You don’t want to escape from the Submachine”)

When someone dies, nature itself says or does nothing about it (apart from corroding the body, of course), which actually seems pretty horrible from the human point of view. In the Submachine world/ games, this horribleness is amplified: it isn’t even clear if someone just died, if you are actually able to die because of the nonlinear timeline (see the mummies in Sub9: they are obviously pretty old, but you wrote with Murtaugh just 5 games ago) or if everyone is dead already and we are surrounded by invisible corpses. The games leave open the question for something apart from the visible nature (like, Shiva). They just focus on the effects and relics (like, scarabs and Karma stuff) of phenomena and art often linked to religion (see above). Of course, we aren’t able to create blue karma lines or portals etc., this is rather a metaphor for insight and introversion (like, Murtaugh’s ability to focus on reality layers). Together with the puzzles (=logic) - sometimes, “religion” and Puzzles even get mixed together-, those abilities form the lifeline and playability in the confusing Submachine world and make us believe that we “guide the light”.
The net is vast and infinite
Sublevel 113
layer restorer

Re: RoentgenDevice's theories/ interpretations

Post by Sublevel 113 »

Hi there, RoentgenDevice. Welcome to the forum!

I found your theory peculiar and VERY COOL!
:D
Vortex
Murtaugh's hunter

Post by Vortex »

i agree, i've read few theories like this one, and i mean it in a good sense :)

i don't think theories of this type can really be confirmed/debunked (at least not from the series, there's the possiblilty that the author intended this interpretation of Submachine in particular), but they are nonetheless interesting to read, and this one i find completely plausible. also, it's very well written, i like the format :D

welcome to the forum, RoentgenDevice!
RoentgenDevice
subnet notes finder

Post by RoentgenDevice »

Thank you both! :D
ENIHCAMBUS
karma portal traveller

Post by ENIHCAMBUS »

Long time ago since the last theory posted. :D

Thats because users are now lazy and prefer to wait until the end of the series instead theorizing about what with have so far.
ENIHCAMBUS: State of the Art Scanning!
🧐
RoentgenDevice
subnet notes finder

Post by RoentgenDevice »

Yeah, I already was like, "is it really worth a shot, now, where we are just one year apart from the end of the main plot?". But then again, I'm pretty sure that the explanations in The Exit will be far from explaining everything (didn't Mr. Skutnik even mention that somewhere? Not really sure about that). That's why I theorized only about the Submachine's very main traits. I just feel a bit stupid about investing a lot of time in a long text that describes what I think the plot of Sub10 is going to be like- 'cause I'm pretty sure this game is going to feature some mind-bending and unpredictable plot twists, like most of the Submachine games did. ;)

Only thing I know: It probably features some kind of exit. *troll*
The Abacus
wisdom crystal finder

Post by The Abacus »

Welcome to the forum RoentgenDevice!

Amazing theory :D
I found it really interesting and unlike any other that I've read before.
RoentgenDevice wrote:You have to learn that it wasn’t really you who shut off the defense systems- it happened by itself, due to another, unknown character in the game or maybe a “past you” that was there before even started to play the submachine series or whatnot.
I personally don't like to imagine that all the events we've read about in the main series happened >700 years ago and there is a possibility that it may not be true. Time works very strangely in the Submachine (just look at the Chronon) and we don't know what Murtaugh meant in the Sub8 intro dialogue with portals within that change the direction of "everything." For all we know, by taking the karma portal at the end of Sub7 we could have been transported >700 years into the future.
RoentgenDevice wrote:I don’t believe the games really try to tell a story from a “possible” and “tangible” world, like most Science Fiction and Fantasy games, books and movies do, but I don’t think that they show us a simulation or dream, either (which is officially debunked, anyway).
And this is what differentiates Submachine (as well as Daymare Town) from other games, books and movies...
Vortex wrote:i don't think theories of this type can really be confirmed/debunked (at least not from the series, there's the possiblilty that the author intended this interpretation of Submachine in particular), but they are nonetheless interesting to read, and this one i find completely plausible.
Actually, I would put it under likely (but that's my opinion)
Balance is imperative; without it, total collapse and destruction is imminent.
RoentgenDevice
subnet notes finder

Post by RoentgenDevice »

I personally don't like to imagine that all the events we've read about in the main series happened >700 years ago and there is a possibility that it may not be true. Time works very strangely in the Submachine (just look at the Chronon) and we don't know what Murtaugh meant in the Sub8 intro dialogue with portals within that change the direction of "everything." For all we know, by taking the karma portal at the end of Sub7 we could have been transported >700 years into the future.
I'm sorry, but I don't really get what you mean by this... jumping 700 years from the past into the future seems pretty similar to jumping 700 years from the present to the future, if we speak of Submachine... :|
And what has that to do with the defense systems?
And this is what differentiates Submachine (as well as Daymare Town) from other games, books and movies...
Yes, I think so, too! Submachine and Daymare town probably, too, are truly exceptional (not only) in this regard, because they deal with the "made-up-ness" (is there a term for that?) of fictional works by including it directly into the tale itself :)
The Abacus
wisdom crystal finder

Post by The Abacus »

RoentgenDevice wrote:
I'm sorry, but I don't really get what you mean by this... jumping 700 years from the past into the future seems pretty similar to jumping 700 years from the present to the future, if we speak of Submachine... :|
And what has that to do with the defense systems?
I was referring to the (well-founded) theory that we weren't the first to turn off the defense systems and was saying that there is still a possibility that it is not true. Nothing to do with differentiating jumping from past to future and present to future...
Balance is imperative; without it, total collapse and destruction is imminent.
RoentgenDevice
subnet notes finder

Post by RoentgenDevice »

I was referring to the (well-founded) theory that we weren't the first to turn off the defense systems and was saying that there is still a possibility that it is not true. Nothing to do with differentiating jumping from past to future and present to future...
Aha, okay! I missed the connection and became pretty perplexed. :)