Vurn's theories

Vurn
subnet traveller

Vurn's theories

Post by Vurn »

Title: Vurn's Iridescent Theory of Everything

What has perplexed me in the Submachine and was often ommitted or "explained" with a single sentence in many theories is the apparent violation of physical laws in the Subnet. Such outright bending of universal laws of nature is exhibited e.g. by the Energy/Wisdom Gems (floating, powering devices by unknown means) the Bells that make metal cubes float, 3D puzzle in the Root, floating spectre in Sub4, the Mover, and so on and so forth. Bear that concept in mind; I will return to it later. Now, what exactly is the Submachine? The best overall picture of it is the Submachine Network Exploration Experience. To put it bluntly, it's a weird mass of locations and stuff hovering in a static, dark void, breaking the laws of physics, containing spacetime loops and being seemingly endless. The interesting part is that there seem to be places that exist both in the real, earthly world and inside of the Submachine, such as the Kent lighthouse. I think the way Murtaugh or any other person accessed the Submachine was by finding a place that exists in both realities. My idea is that they are somehow spatially connected.

And now I get to the point of this whole theory: I see the Submachine as this sort of extradimensional anomaly. If you are not aware of the implications of the (at least the scienitific fiction-esque, popular version) Multiverse Theory, I would reccommend reading about it. So, my idea is that what we call the Submachine is an anomaly, which has the ability to break into various different Universes - and sort of "steal" the places from over there and add them to its collective interior. For example, the Kent lighthouse has been "stolen" - or rather copied, since it persists in the real world - from our world, and placed in the Submachine, which is like a different dimension. (I shouldn't use the word dimension, since technically it's synonymous to a layer, which is a different story.) But different places, say the Edge, were probably transferred from other, non-Earth realities. To describe that property with an analogy, one might say that the Submachine is like a thief, stealing goods (locations) from different houses (dimensions) and adding all their loot to a single bag (the Void, the area of the Submachine).
Understood? Returning to the issue of change in physical laws; in many SF stories, other Universes aren't just Earths with a history twist, like Germany winning WW2 - it is said, (and even scientifically theorized about!) that other Universes can have a whole set of physical constants and laws vastly different from ours. Imagine a reality where Pi equals seven, or where magnetism doesn't occur, or where wave-particle dualism doens't exist.. you get the idea.

So the Submachine is a mass of places from different realities with alien physics, all right. Karma is basically a physical force/radiation/whatever that is not present in our set of physics (which set I call the Equilibrium Field). This karma, that may or may not be the same kind of energy that powers Wisdom/Energy Gems, is the force that can be used to open dimensional portals. Its destructive effect which we've seen in Sub7 are caused by two different Equilibrium Fields - reference frames with varying physical laws - meeting. Their incompatibleness fractures the fabric of spacetime.

I suppose the King and the Fourth Dynasty of the Western Kingdom might simply originate from an another reality. The Edge may be a mutated AI stolen by the Submachine from a civilization higher than us on the Kardashev scale. I'm not too concerned about the mutual relationship and the past of Murtaugh and Liz, but I guess they are just a couple that discovered the intrinsic properties of the Submachine and started evaluating them. 32 years of Murtaugh's research seem vast, but it can be an effect of submachinian time warps on terms of different Equilibrium Fields. The endless research in the oneiric, creepy locations of the Submachine and constant killing of people whilst trying to break the Edge's security probably impaired his sanity.

About its very origin, I tend to agree with Zombyrus' Meaningless Theory. The Subnet's origin wasn't purposeful, but was rather an accidental side effect of reality. The plan would be a general outline of its structure, which relatively subsequently after the arrival of Mur mutated and grown to form what is now called the Outer Rim. The Player is, just like the members of the four teams and the precedessors, a person hired by Mur and his people to work on researching the Submachine.
TT: I guess one could use those words to describe it.
TT: If armed with a predilection for the inapt.
Vortex
Murtaugh's hunter

Re: Vurn's Iridescent Theory of Everything

Post by Vortex »

I knew you would use that word somewhere XD

I like the theory, it's well written and consistent. although in the last part, "after the arrival of Mur mutated", I think Mateusz said that Mur wasn't there when the mutation occurred, but I'm not sure. Everything else is fine :)
Vurn
subnet traveller

Post by Vurn »

Well, then it mutated before then, whoopity doo. Maybe it was when it first stole a location, or exceeded some number of locations.
borys610

Post by borys610 »

Nice one.
But, does it me that it is some kind of normal world, outside the endless mess of Submachines?
Vurn
subnet traveller

Post by Vurn »

borys610 wrote:Nice one.
But, does it mean that there is some kind of normal world, outside the endless mess of Submachines?
Obviously?
WorldisQuiet5256
karma portal traveller

Post by WorldisQuiet5256 »

When you say steal, or some reason it make me think about the Gods on Mount Olympus running down to earth to "steal" people for wives.
WHERE DO WE COME FROM
WHAT ARE WE
WHERE ARE WE
GOING
Anteroinen
subnet traveller

Post by Anteroinen »

Vurn wrote: So the Submachine is a mass of places from different realities with alien physics, all right. Karma is basically a physical force/radiation/whatever that is not present in our set of physics (which set I call the Equilibrium Field). This karma, that may or may not be the same kind of energy that powers Wisdom/Energy Gems, is the force that can be used to open dimensional portals. Its destructive effect which we've seen in Sub7 are caused by two different Equilibrium Fields - reference frames with varying physical laws - meeting. Their incompatibleness fractures the fabric of spacetime.
The only problem I have with this is that the physics and topology cannot differ that much from this universe, lest subjects would be torn to pieces when the change their layer.

Other than that, you theory seems to be a likely possibility.
"We didn't leave the Stone Age, because we ran out of stones."
Rooster5man
subnet traveller

Post by Rooster5man »

WorldisQuiet5256 wrote:When you say steal, or some reason it make me think about the Gods on Mount Olympus running down to earth to "steal" people for wives.
I didn't know that actually occured anywhere other than in Percy Jackson. (PM me if you want to continue the conversation)

=========================

Couple questions, I'll work my way around:

1)
The plan would be a general outline of its structure, which relatively subsequently after the arrival of Mur mutated and grown to form what is now called the Outer Rim.
The Plan is the Outer Rim...? Or did you not mean that?

2)
Such outright bending of universal laws of nature is exhibited e.g. by the Energy/Wisdom Gems (floating, powering devices by unknown means) the Bells that make metal cubes float, 3D puzzle in the Root, floating spectre in Sub4, the Mover, and so on and so forth
the Mover
all right. Karma is basically a physical force/radiation/whatever that is not present in our set of physics (which set I call the Equilibrium Field). This karma, that may or may not be the same kind of energy that powers Wisdom/Energy Gems, is the force that can be used to open dimensional portals.

Remember that the Wisdom Gems power the Mover. Being said, the beams that transport the Mover (reminscient of the Layer beams from Sub8) are probably Karma-based (or, taking a page out of my Theory, Wisdom-based, if Wisdom is an energy.)

So on that idea, being there's an energy behind it, it seems strange to say it defies Physics, even though it may be a more-advanced form of our Physics - We don't know if its energy allows the Gems it's contained in to hover, among other things.

3)
If you are not aware of the implications of the (at least the scienitific fiction-esque, popular version) Multiverse Theory, I would reccommend reading about it. So, my idea is that what we call the Submachine is an anomaly, which has the ability to break into various different Universes - and sort of "steal" the places from over there and add them to its collective interior
a) Be careful not to infringe -ak-'s Dimensional Pathway Theory here, especially with this:
I think the way Murtaugh or any other person accessed the Submachine was by finding a place that exists in both realities.
b) Why does the Submachine (according to your Theory, being the anomaly it is) "steal" parts of different Universes? Is it for power, somewhat like Galactus?

As of right now, that's all I can comment on.

I'd give it a Still Alive at best, bordering Likely.
WorldisQuiet5256
karma portal traveller

Post by WorldisQuiet5256 »

Is it for power, somewhat like Galactic?

Wait, do you mean like Battlestar Galactica? if so I'm lost. Ive watch the whole series, so, can you explain.
WHERE DO WE COME FROM
WHAT ARE WE
WHERE ARE WE
GOING
Anteroinen
subnet traveller

Post by Anteroinen »

The Plan is the Outer Rim...? Or did you not mean that?
He quite clearly says that the plan has mutated and grown and formed the outer rim.
"We didn't leave the Stone Age, because we ran out of stones."