The Architect

Submachine 9 theories and suggestions

Post by MateuszSkutnik »

Submachine 9 theories and suggestions
Vortex
Murtaugh's hunter

Re: Submachine 9 theories and suggestions

Post by Vortex »

Are we gonna copy everything from the old thread? I don't think we need to do that.
borys610

Post by borys610 »

Vurn should start this topic
Vortex
Murtaugh's hunter

Post by Vortex »

But Vurn isn't registered yet lol
Rooster5man
subnet traveller

Post by Rooster5man »

I guess we don't have to copy everything over since we can archive the old thread...But we should still continue any questions we left un-answered on the old Forum. Where should we start then?
Anteroinen
subnet traveller

Post by Anteroinen »

Perhaps the topic of Core-dwellers wold be interesting? What did they do, how many were there and why did they do what they did? It is a key part of subhistory, so I think it deserves to be contemplated at sufficient length.
"We didn't leave the Stone Age, because we ran out of stones."
Vortex
Murtaugh's hunter

Post by Vortex »

Well we know that the Fourth Dynasty might have lived there (I don't remember if that's actually confirmed in the game), and that the Palace was created as a home por people of science, so we at least know they are educated people.

EDIT: and that, being of science, they probably seeked knowledge, so that might be a reason to why they did what they did.
Anteroinen
subnet traveller

Post by Anteroinen »

Well we know that the Fourth Dynasty might have lived there (I don't remember if that's actually confirmed in the game), and that the Palace was created as a home por people of science, so we at least know they are educated people.
Well the Palace certainly was created by the fourth dynasty, there's no doubt about that. And verily, Elizabeth said that the king made the palace for people of science. This is an interesting tangent actually - what if it was for those who created the root? But first things first; I think the evidence for the dynasty affecting the core is pretty strong. The book, for instance, clearly mentions that the fourth dynasty is responsible for the creation of the outer rim.

Allow me to collect some of my thoughts here. This is a likely timeline, as far as I see it.

* The King is crowned in the earlier part of the 19th century. He hires several people like Henry O'Toole and an urbanist. He wishes to create facilities for scientists and create scientific advances, many of which are in the end probably made in the helpful medium of submachine.
* Submachine is discovered do to some unknown process making Henry O'Toole's creations to enter it. Soon after this, people find themselves on different layers of the reality, which is confirmed by using their geotag system. An architectural construct is created to make use of the different layers, and this is named the plan. During this time technology develops exponentially allowing creation of portals and - I think we might propose - wisdom gems. After all, which other time fits an era of such technological prowess that such devices could be created.
* Submachines are vigorously researched and finally re-engineered. Due to the darkness inside it it is name submerged machine. At the same time the supercomputer is also created. Someone asks the great question of "why are we" and outer rim is slowly created (the book says "that is considered the birth of the outer rim", which implies there is debate on the actual starting point).
* The fourth dynasty fails to stop this and starts withering away.
* Also at the same time - 1906 - Murtaugh makes his experiments with karma portals collapsing the Core in one layer.
"We didn't leave the Stone Age, because we ran out of stones."
Rooster5man
subnet traveller

Post by Rooster5man »

That is the logical timeline from what we have so far, I just have to question this:
Submachine is discovered do to some unknown process making Henry O'Toole's creations to enter it. Soon after this, people find themselves on different layers of the reality, which is confirmed by using their geotag system. An architectural construct is created to make use of the different layers, and this is named the plan. During this time technology develops exponentially allowing creation of portals and - I think we might propose - wisdom gems. After all, which other time fits an era of such technological prowess that such devices could be created.
Herein lies the problem. The Portals were designed for Sub-bots. With the thought that humans built the Sub-bots and made the Portals specifically for the Sub-bots [let me clarify: That's not your thought, but a path of logic], why would the explorers then reverse-engineer the Portals for use?

Another path of logic is that the explorers and the scientists (who, with your thought, worked for the King) were from two different eras, and the Movers were created for the humans since the Scientists had no intention of using the Portals (possibly had no reason to.) Thus the Explorers decided to explore the use of the Portals and reverse-engineered the Portals.

Let's remember Liz's note though:
I finally understood how they could mimic the structure of the subnet within a garden...

They didn't have to mimic. They were already living inside the subnet.
It's not "through some process" that Henry O'Toole's creations were in the Core - because both the Palace and the Lighthouse are in the Core - but because the King and O'Toole and these people must have been already living in the SubNet. At least that's what I understand.

The following is from the pamphlet in Sub7:
This palace and surrounding gardens are prime examples of antistructural architecture freed from boundaries of material durability.
Could O'Toole's Architecture sparked the creation of the Layers and thus "The Plan?" "Freed from boundaries of material durability" - Sounds like creating new Dimensions, unless I'm wrong.
Subbot #499
lost in subnet

Post by Subbot #499 »

Here is my theory:
It began more than 742 years ago. A group of people, for reasons unknown, created six alternate dimensions. (This process may have used the same "force" that powers Mur's karma arm.) To travel between these dimensions, the creators imbued specific locations with properties that facilitate trans-dimensional travel. (similar to AK's Dimensional Pathway Theory) These locations (such as 104) were the very first core submachines. The alternate dimensions were colonized, and as the centuries passed, knowledge of the submachines was lost. Then on layer 1, sometime between 1832 and 1904, submachine ruins were rediscovered beneath The King's palace. In 1904, scientists tried to replicate the trans-dimensional properties of the submachine, creating the Root. Because the Root was flawed, its "submachine-ness" was spread to a large number of other structures, creating the outer rim. These Submachines had dimensional properties like the originals; however, they were less stable, and inter-layer travel from these locations was a lot less reliable. It is possible that the outer rim spread to other layers, likely including #2 (super advanced computer that was integrated into the defense systems) and #3 (at some point visited and damaged by Mur.) A couple of years after the creation of the Root, Mur discovered his karma arm, and began experimenting with it. However, his portals caused massive dimensional stability, eventually reducing most of layer 1 to a black void. The submachine structures were spared due to their dimensional properties. Mur's companions tried to trap him in the lighthouse, and after he escaped, the outer rim constructed a massive laser turret chain to banish Mur from the Core, which the net viewed as its "heart." He then spent the next 32 years gathering a following from people who were in the submachines when the dimension collapsed. This culminated in the events of Subs 1-8.