Submachine 10: the Exit

Jatsko
karma portal traveller

Re: Submachine 10: the Exit

Post by Jatsko »

Maybe it's special in that it acts as a gateway between the subnet and the outer world.

What we should do is consolidate ideas on how the subnet relates to the outside world, taking into account different layers and such. The entire subnet is obviously unmappable, but we should at least try to get our bearings on where different parts of it are (ex. core, knot, outer rim) in relation to each other.
RockyOceanK
subbot maintenance

Post by RockyOceanK »

I'm thinking about seeing sub8 through again. We get the most basic info on layers and the way they work and where you can get into the knot. Layer 5 seems really something we all are intrested in.
I hit rock bottom
auroradane
lost in subnet

Post by auroradane »

Isn't the real world just layers without a subnet? Or have I misunderstood the whole thing? So can't you build a lighthouse using karma in the real world that will exist in all layers at once? Including those of the subnet? Sorry if that is a silly question, I'm new and as such not entirely up to speed.
Vortex
Murtaugh's hunter

Post by Vortex »

I don't think that's completely settled, but I'd agree with you. We saw in Sub7 that Henry o'Toole constructed the Lighthouse and Winter Palace using "antistructural architecture" (which I assume has to do with layers), before the concept of Submachine even existed, even if they are considered part of the Submachine now.
RockyOceanK
subbot maintenance

Post by RockyOceanK »

Werent the antistructures also about multiple uses of Karma taking the place of other old contacting materials? I think that karma has to do with layers too and that it exists only in where they are as well.
I hit rock bottom
Augustus
wisdom crystal finder

Post by Augustus »

Maybe I am stupid, but does that mean there can't be karma portals on the same layers? Meaning that, all of these lead to different onces?
RockyOceanK
subbot maintenance

Post by RockyOceanK »

No they can.You can see that by Mur's "baby steps" in the winter palace and the fact that he did his experiments on the 3rd layer.
I hit rock bottom
reed
subnet technician

Post by reed »

I believe if the outside world does not have layers, Murtaugh wouldn't have any reason to consider the third layer to be his origin. This proof is kinda weak, though.
no, you're not getting out of here. no way.

operatorsandthings.tumblr.com
Jatsko
karma portal traveller

Post by Jatsko »

Observe this note from Sub10:
Five dimensions wrote:
- If there is countless number of sub-layers, it's practically impossible for two people the end up in the same layer, right?

- Yes, good observation.

- But the non-living matter can be persistant between layers.

- Yes, there are special building materials mixed with just a hint of karmic water. This technique was discovered during the Fourth Dynasty.

- Naturally. The architects of the Plan...

- So you can imagine how a non-living sentient organism, powered by the super-intelligence of Shiva was able to embrace all layers at once. The Submachine is now living in five dimentions.
First bolded phrase describes the antistructures; second bolded phrase shows us that the subnet exists in five of the seven layers. The layers surround the whole world, and the subnet lives in one part of that world.
Vortex
Murtaugh's hunter

Post by Vortex »

Hmm, I don't think that's right. Here the word dimension must be in the spatial sense; it can't be referring to layers because the Temple is unquestionably a part of Submachine and we can see all 8 layers there (remember the Parallel room).

However, there's this excerpt from a forum post around the time of Sub7:
Forum Post December 18th, 2010 - 2 wrote:1. no. reality is made of 7 different layers. subnet is a part of that reality.