Post by IceGear55 »

Uh... I thought this might fit here.
https://www.reddit.com/r/WritingPrompts ... find_your/
Sublevel 113
layer restorer

Re: Submachine 3: the Loop

Post by Sublevel 113 »

Question from the void:

Anybody was successful to open passage machine in last (SYNTAGMA) level, then take a leaf and place it on a statue, and then return to (0;0) in time and press the button? XD

Dammit, Subgod, why you placed statue so far from starting room? :mrgreen:

Heh, and also:

Submachine survivors guide:
How to escape from Submachine eight games earlier:
1) Use the same inventory bug as in Submachine 3, and block Lighthouse Lamp lever so you can't use it.
2) Break the right metal wall to escape! ^^
Sundex
subnet technician

Post by Sundex »

A speedrunner could try that out to see what happens
BACK TO THEORIES
Prupp
subnet technician

Post by Prupp »

"But that's not the point of the game-"

Submafia: Civil War
Sublevel 113
layer restorer

Post by Sublevel 113 »

Prupp wrote:"But that's not the point of the game-"

Submafia: Civil War
:?:
huh?
Prupp
subnet technician

Post by Prupp »

just a bad joke... :?
Mr. Trapezoid
lost in subnet

Post by Mr. Trapezoid »

Dungeon Graph: Submachine 3

Mr. Trapezoid
lost in subnet

Post by Mr. Trapezoid »

How the graph works:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZL4GLH03gyA

Personal notes:

Again, there is a drastic change from Submachine 1 and 2. Now the graph has increased dramatically in its vertical length and shortened the width considerably. The level system forces the graph into a stiff, rigid shape. All keys and locks must be used up before you can proceed to the next level. It is worth noticing how there are no long vertical lines in this graph apart from the level branch. These elements combined gives the game a strict, mechanical, hostile and exhausting atmosphere.

Each level demands that you find approximately six keys to open the gate to the next level. It starts of simple with just needing to turn 6 levers, then from level 3 and onward nearly all the puzzles provides some change in the graph design. One challenge demands you retrieve the keys chronologically, another gives you six keys to unlock one lock while the next gives you one key to unlock six locks. Level 9 is especially interesting where the two locks provides the key for the neighboring lock, in this case the key is the value of the Arabic and Roman numerals. Exhanging the arabic and roman values unlocks level 10 (in the SD version, it was colors instead of numbers).

Personally, I like to see the first 3 games as a trilogy of sorts, where the basement is the most option filled game, the loop being the most linear and the lighthouse falling in a nice middle ground between the two.

Submachine 3 is the only game in the series with two endings. Continuing down the loop leads to a bad ending where you die of dehydration and using the leaf on the pedestal makes you escape the loop. I designed the graph intentionally to have the pedestal lock branch away from the other keys and locks to recreate the feel of rebelling against a system.

Tune in tomorrow for the dungeon graph breakdown of Submachine 0: the Ancient Adventure
Last edited by Mr. Trapezoid on 07 Nov 2018 12:45, edited 2 times in total.
Jatsko
karma portal traveller

Post by Jatsko »

Mr. Trapezoid wrote:These elements combined gives the game a mechanical, hostile and exhausting atmosphere.
...in addition to literally everything else, lol. But I understand.
Mr. Trapezoid wrote:I designed the graph intentionally to have the pedestal lock branch away from the other keys and locks to recreate the feel of rebelling against a system.
Good choice.
Mr. Trapezoid wrote:Lastly, in the HD version, a new key and lock is introduced at the start of the game where you need to retrieve the compass yourself before you can turn the first lever.
Just checked to be sure; you have to pick up the compass in both games before you use the passage machine for the first time. So it's not unique to the HD version.

Also, technically there's no "Level 12"; it's just the bad ending. But other than that, nice work.

EDIT: Upon further review, I understand the "level 12" lock leading to "bad ending", but I just wish it was labeled something else.
Last edited by Jatsko on 30 Jun 2020 15:15, edited 1 time in total.