Sundex's Theories

Jatsko
karma portal traveller

Re: Karmic energy theory

Post by Jatsko »

Ok, here are my thoughts:
Sundex wrote:In Submachine 1, we have the option to pick up a wisdom gem, which is an object that holds karmic energy.
Just a general note: I don't think this has been confirmed, but it can be safely inferred.
Sundex wrote:Wisdom gems aren't the only source of karma in the subnet. There are also karma portals in subs 7, 9, and 10.
I'm confused as to why you wouldn't give karma portals as the first example upfront, as they have the name "karma" in them. I assume it has to do with following game order.

These come in a small and basic variety of colors: Red, green, cyan, and white (see http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFIhv1k9bPs for the red karma portal). In fact, those colors represent the color of all karma in the subnet.[/quote]

You cannot prove this is true; in fact, the statement itself is false because you forgot the purple karma portal in NPG. Either way,

1) you cannot state that these colors are the only colors of karma portals in the subnet if we haven't explored the entire subnet, and

2) you seem to be portraying the appearance of red and white karma portals as abundant as green and blue ones, which is not true. I think there should be a distinction made here that we've only seen one red and one white each.
Sundex wrote:The green karma portals, although they still have a sense of instability, are portals that can transport you not just from place to place, but from layer to layer.

There's no evidence of this. Every time you use a green karma portal you exit in the same layer you start. Maybe there's something to be said about traveling "through" multiple layers during transit but that's not covered here.
Sundex wrote:The white karma portals are probably only usable in the 8th layer, seeing that the only one we ever use is in the 8th layer.

While it can be inferred that this is the case since they are made of white energy and it's safe to say that white energy only appears in Layer 8, the general notion that you can prove a property for all instances of an object by just observing one instance is a hasty generalization fallacy.
Sundex wrote:It is known that white karma portals are stronger than green karma portals,
This is completely unsupported if you give no definition of "strength" in this context and demonstrate what makes one portal stronger than another.
Sundex wrote:but apart from that, everything else is just theory.
...this is implied anyway, right? :D
Sundex wrote:Another source of karma is the karma stabilizer. Throughout the main storyline, karma seems like a force of destruction. Especially with karma portals. The karma stabilizer uses karma to fix the effects of karma portals.

So far you've described two main uses of karma energy (portals and gems) and while it's true that certain karma portals are destructive in nature, no wisdom gems have been shown to be destructive, so be careful that you're not making generalizations here as well and focusing on one type of karma too much.
Sundex wrote:There are a bunch more example of karma in the subnet but either way, I bring all these examples up because of a question me and the other members of the forum tried to answer: How do you interpret karmic energy? The simple answer is this: there is no specific quantitative way to analyze it.
...and that answer is way too simple. Just because we don't know how exactly to measure it doesn't mean it's incalculable. We have already been given several hints in the series that karmic energy can be measured in and generates finite amounts of energy. For example:

1) Murtaugh making a disctinction between one wisdom gem and the entire lighthouse as different amounts of energy

2) Evidence of karma portal decay in Sub10

So don't say that just because we don't have a reliable way to quantifiably analyze it therefore there is no such way.
Sundex wrote:Instead, it is measured in a qualitative way. Karma isn't necessarily a good thing or a bad thing in the subnet. It is simply there because it is.
I have no idea why this is in here, as your argument so far has been that it has concrete uses like energy batteries and transportation.
Sundex wrote:Karma, in reality, is described as the balance of the universe, and it is said that it is present in many realms.
Because I know where this is going, I would like to remind you that at the beginning of your theory, you said
Sundex wrote:But this isn't the real world we are talking about.
So either introduce the real-world definition into this or don't.
Sundex wrote:Those realms being physical, mental, emotional, astral, and beyond. Notice that there are five realms listed.
...so? What significance does this have? Especially with the number 5?
Sundex wrote:Each realm plays a role in the subnet, but note that a real isn't a layer. It is physically existent because of the fact that if it wasn't, we as the player (see http://pastelland.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=7&t=795) wouldn't be able to explore it.
So I wasn't able to fully understand what you're saying here, but it sounds like you're saying "karma is real because we can physically interact with it". I don't know why you included a link to another unconfirmed/not-widely-accepted theory to back this up.
Sundex wrote:The submachine also takes a mental toll on those who explore it because of amnesia. Evidence for this is a note in Submachine 4 that states that the explorers forgot things, such as the coordinates to the basement section and Murtaugh's name.
I don't get how observing a mental condition that people have in the Subnet leads to a conclusion that "karma has a mental realm present in the Subnet". Is that what you're saying?
Sundex wrote:In another note in submachine 10, it sort of states that people enter the subnet to change for the better or worse. "I think you are ready to enter the Submachine. . .Remember, this can destroy or transform you. But you will not return the same man. . ." This transformation/destruction is more than likely emotional.
This is extremely open to interpretation and there's no evidence that the subnet has an explicit purpose to put people on emotional journeys. Phrases like "sort of states" and "more than likely emotional" is very logically weak.
Sundex wrote:The subnet in it's entirety has an astral feel to it.
...?? Explanation? Details? Or are you saying that because it fits your conclusion? Define astral and how it's present in the Subnet.
Sundex wrote:The subnet goes beyond the capabilities of the normal observable universe. Some examples of this are how gravity in location 411 can vary depending on where you are at and how the universe is in a four dimensional reality and the subnet is a 5 dimensional reality.
In order to prove these statements as true you need to demonstrate a working knowledge of how both the entire subnet and the entire universe works. Either that or revise your statements.

For this last part especially I don't know why you decided to define karma in terms of what frankly appears to be a real-world philosophy and try to apply it to the Subnet. I thought it was clear in your own words when you started out that karma is a form of physical energy that is used to power things and as a mode of transportation. The second half almost seems like you searched "karma" on the internet, found some philosophy site, and then took what you read and tried to deform the already-given definition of "karma" as it pertains to the Subnet a different meaning. Just because you recognize a word from somewhere else doesn't mean it can support the same meaning from there. I researched the terms you used and most of them elad to websites dealing with "astral projection" so it really seems like you saw something, thought it sounded cool, and then tried to graft Submachine to it. I would stick with quantitative analysis.
Jatsko
karma portal traveller

Re: Sundex's Theories

Post by Jatsko »

In general, if you're going to use external links for theories constructed from hardbound evidence and testable facts, don't research sites like this:

http://www.beyondvibration.com/2010/12/ ... nergy.html
Sundex
subnet technician

Post by Sundex »

Understandable. Have a nice day! Thanks for the constructive criticism.
BACK TO THEORIES
Jatsko
karma portal traveller

Post by Jatsko »

Why did you quote everything I wrote? No one needs to read all that again.
ENIHCAMBUS
karma portal traveller

Post by ENIHCAMBUS »

Apocrypha wrote:...

Why did you quote everything I wrote? No one needs to read all that again.
It is your fault for double posting, otherwise he didn't had to.

Should I condence this?
ENIHCAMBUS: State of the Art Scanning!
🧐
Sundex
subnet technician

Post by Sundex »

Sure.
BACK TO THEORIES
Sundex
subnet technician

Post by Sundex »

Improved. However, only on the wiki
BACK TO THEORIES
Jatsko
karma portal traveller

Post by Jatsko »

Ehnic, you can't say that copying an entire analysis he hardly responded to in specifics is fine and totally not an eyesore just because I double-posted. Derp.
ENIHCAMBUS
karma portal traveller

Post by ENIHCAMBUS »

Apocrypha wrote:Ehnic, you can't say that copying an entire analysis he hardly responded to in specifics is fine and totally not an eyesore just because I double-posted. Derp.
Of course not, I was kiding with that.
ENIHCAMBUS: State of the Art Scanning!
🧐
Sundex
subnet technician

Post by Sundex »

Apocrypha wrote:Ehnic, you can't say that copying an entire analysis he hardly responded to in specifics is fine and totally not an eyesore just because I double-posted. Derp.
I didn't respond to it in full because there was so much. And telling you how I fixed these problems would take up just as much space as it did for you to tell me them. If you really want to see the fixes I did, you should check the wiki.
BACK TO THEORIES